Morning Malcolm,

I have now registered with both Farnell and RS, which was all very easy
to do. The former are offering a 'free' special edition Rpi T-Shirt, too
... :-)
I've seen those - element 14 I think.

OK ... with Linux it all seems an endless series of 'flavours' of Linux.
It may look that way but Linux, or more accurately GNU/Linux is the kernel, the actual OS if you like. That's pretty much standard across all distros. A few distros do modify the kernel slightly to match their needs, but usually it's in non-important areas.

The distro itself comes in many flavours, including the applications supplied, the GUI in use - KDE, Gnome, Gnome3, etc. This doesn't mean that if you use Linux Mint with Gnome that your applications won't run on OpenSuse with KDE - they will.

OK ... you get some 'basic' stuff, and then post-install a lot of other
potentially more useful stuff.
Sort of. With Windows you install everything (ie, the OS) and then start buying applications, or downloading Firefox, Chrome, whatever from many different places. How secure these places are, you have no idea.

With Linux, everything is on the DVD initially, and part of the installation set you up with repositories and it is from these that you get your new stuff, updates, patches and so on. These repositories are secure in that they use security signatures and certificates to prove their validity.

Ah ... yes ... fault tracing in electronics is like de-bugging in
software ... a potential long and tortuous road.
It came to me this AM when I was in bed what I'd done wrong. I need to check later to see if my subconscious was right. My two timing resitors needed to be around 1K and 144K to go with the 100nF capacitor. I have a funny feeling that I used a 980K instead of 144K - major failure there for "around 144k"! ;-)

Umm ... you may say that a lot of hardware and software has been sold to
Schools ... :-) ... but then, we are not cynical; are we?
Most of our schools are "sponsored" by Microsoft. As is most of government. We are doomed to repeat the errors of our predecessors if we never learn.

And yes, "we" are cynical, with good reason I'm afraid! ;-)

Hope you get your Pi soon.

Cheers,
Norm.

--