On 20/04/2012 09:40, Dilwyn Jones wrote:
So like all the BASICS, it is interpreted as it is run.
Not quite the same. Yes- superBasic runs uncompiled but errors only show when they
are encountered.
Python (and perl - my preference) compiles first, syntax errors show then and it stops with error display - often wildly confusing if things lke closing quotes (or a dreaded ';' in
Perl) is missed. Only if it compiles does it run the program.

It will be interesting to see whether this happens, and which computer languages actually
then get used.

One of the really great features of python is no {} structure or semi-colons - it relies on indenting. This imposes good layout, which I in fact always attempt in perl ( and C).

This all sounds very interesting and possibly a fairly straightforward language for S*BASIC users to learn. I notice there's versions of Python for Windows as well as Linux etc. Anyone know if a Python program written on one platform such as Windows, be run on another such as Linux? Guess if the programs are written and saved using a text editor there's a chance this might be possible, although probably endian issues might arise with numbers, for example? Admittedly I know nothing about Python (yet... - it looks interesting)

I always thought it was a pity superBasic demanded line numbers. They were not actually necessary,
and if GOTO did not exist, not even used.
I think QLiberator at least can compile without line numbers (never actually tried that). Perhaps George could tell us if Turbo can too.

GOTO and GOSUB are one thing, you can usually do without them. What about RESTORE line_number though?

Dilwyn