Hi Dilwyn,

On 28/08/13 16:58, Dilwyn Jones wrote:

It already had Win XP Service Pack 3, so I didn’t expect too long to update.
Two hours later it’s still only got as far as update 19 of 127. Is this a
record?!?

It may well be, mind you, it does depend on the speed of your broadband - which I'm not sure is very fast, if I remember correctly - plus, the speed of your dongle. I think you get about 80 speeds from a wifi, whereas you get 10/100/1000 from a wired ethernet connection. Later wifi standards get a bit higher.

I once wiped a Pentium 4 Sony Vaio laptop that I was giving to a friend for his kids, reinstalled XP from the recovery discs, and reapplied all the updates including SP3. It took all weekend, and that was when I had a 100 speed network cable and router.

I still update my wife's laptop, also XP, from time to time, and it really is abysmally slow.

My own laptop? That has Linux on it. Yes it gets updated almost weekly, if not daily in some cases, but it's far far faster.

Have fun!

Cheers,
Norm.

--