Maybe it's your class path?

echo "${CLASSPATH}"

Should show you where the java system will look for jar and class files etc.
Look for "." which indicates "current directory".  The path separator is a
colon ":".

You might get lucky if you do this:

export CLASSPATH=/home/pi/downloads:"${CLASSPATH}"

Also, what happens if you type:

java -version

Do you get a response?

Does the Pi user own the jar file?

ls -l downloads/SMSQmulator.jar

Disclaimer: I'm not a java developer, nor do I play one on TV.

Cheers,
Norm.