Dave Park thinks that

"So, fair to assume it's a dead project that will never see the light of day."

That seems quite reasonable!

The problem can be viewed in two ways

Negatively

1) You need a system development environment that
    a) will support different processors - ruling out assembler
    b) does not impose UNIX type structures - ruling out C, C++, etc

2) You need to develop interface modules (drivers?) for a wide range of "peripheral" devices - the device manufacturers will not develop them for you.

3) You need to develop an applications base for a new market

4) You need to develop entirely different hardware architectures - this century, architectures have become ever more tightly dedicated to UNIX (Linux, Windows NT, ...)

Therefore you need $$$$$.

Positively

1) A first version of the Stella core was coded in MC68000 assembler and benchmarked against Solaris 2 (UNIX SVR4) showing orders of magnitude (under unrealistic, best case, benchmark conditions) lower system overheads. Sun Microsystems rejected the idea of developing the system saying that it would not work on either SPARC systems or symmetric multiprocessor systems (false) and that benchmarks were not reliable indicators (true). Instead they bought Chorus, a UNIX variant, which disappeared without trace. Not everybody will always be so stupid

2) There are signs that the "you can always use a more powerful computer" is becoming less acceptable as an excuse for chronically inefficient software.

3) There is still no end in sight to the discovery of new "exploits" in all sorts of Unix based devices. Unix is fundamentally unsound as well as chronically inefficient.

4) Unix type systems will inevitably be wiped out by other systems. We could hope that, unlike Unix, these will be theoretically sound and fit for purpose. This may not happen in our lifetime.

5) The only real barrier is ignorance. The story of Android is illustrative. If, in 2005, Google had known that they could have developed an entirely new operating system and had it up and running sooner than trying to kludge something out of Linux, would they have bought Android Inc. for $50M? Of course not, but they did not know.

Tony