Thank you, guys. The confusion, it appears, was entirely mine. I'll spare you my various excuses; one of the many clues that should have alerted me to the error of my ways was in sp_titletextbg! :) I do wish, however, that there had been some "safe" way to put text on a stippled or striped background in other cases too. But thats ok. Im very glad of the palette system as it is. It has stood up well to the test of time!

Per

On 24/08/2018 22:00, Dilwyn Jones via Ql-Users wrote:
I tended to avoid "strip" colours in my WMAN2 programs and preferred to think of the middleground as a second INK colour, either for headings or for "sub-texts" such as prompts or warnings above menus. I never really knew if I was using it correctly (guess I was for title bars), but never really thought to query it at the time despite writing articles about it in QL Toady, Quanta, etc.

Dilwyn
-----Original Message----- From: Marcel Kilgus via Ql-Users
Sent: Friday, August 24, 2018 4:37 PM
To: ql-us...@q-v-d.com
Cc: Marcel Kilgus
Subject: Re: [Ql-Users] colour confusion

OK, I have a little bit more time and net here now. When I defined the colours 15 or so years ago I was asking the community for feedback, but I think most people didn‘t even quite understand the purpose yet, so there weren‘t really any changes to it.

I defined the colours based on three things, the Windows 95 colour palette, the WMAN window structures and the colours needed to successfully port QPAC2 to them. Only one or two additions were made for other software like QD (which still has the editor colours in its own config block as I felt these were not generic enough in usage).

With QPAC2 it was necessary to have a foreground colour and one other font colour, for which I created the name „middle ground“. This was part joke and part lack of a better name. Plus, nobody complained ;)

I never realized this could be interpreted as STRIP colour, especially as I actually defined one „STRIP“ colour, too: „Title text background“. I don‘t have my laptop with me, but I don‘t think there is the concept of a „STRIP“ colour in the data structures, so I probably never really considered it. Sorry for the confusion!

I was hoping that some day there would be a style guide, but adoption of the system palette was slow and finally I forgot about it. Still, many applications these days use them, so I consider them a success nonetheless.

One more thing: they are defined somewhat conservatively because if you give too many options thing get even more messy. I know Per was always on the rather bleeding edge of WMAN UI development so probably struggled a lot more with them than anybody who simply duplicated the QJump style.

Cheers, Marcel