Having smaller, tiled images like the backgrounds often used on for example
the Acorn Risc PC helps with this. That machine did a tremendous amount
with a limit of 2MB of VRAM. Using smaller images actually increases the
CPU load, so that was the trade-off. Memory or CPU. Pick one ;)

Ah yes, fun times.

Dave

On Tue, Feb 19, 2019 at 6:26 AM Bob Spelten via Ql-Users <
ql-users@lists.q-v-d.com> wrote:

> Op Tue, 19 Feb 2019 11:19:19 +0100 schreef Dilwyn Jones via Ql-Users
> <ql-users@lists.q-v-d.com>:
>
> > Wallpaper Program
> >
> > Recent versionsof SMSQ/E from about version 3.00 feature high colour
> and
> > high resolution screens along with the new Window Manager. This makes
> > them very suitable for displaying colourful and attractive background
> > images behind your program windows.
> > (...)
> >The downside of using wallpaper on a high-colour system is the amount of
> > memory it takes. (...)
> >
> Thanks Dilwyn for automating the wallpaper process.
>
> Just a word about memory and compressed images.
> As other programs or other OSes appear to put compressed images straight
> to the screen, I suspect they all need to keep a final uncompressed
> version in memory to work.
> The space demands may go unnoticed as other systems have more RAM to play
> with.
> This is also true for compressed sprites that WMAN2 processes directly.
> Compressing _pic or _scr files is feasible but it's mostly WIN space that
> is won.
>
> Bob
>
> > Download the Wallpaper software and a few example graphic files from
> > http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/graphics/index.html
> >

> --
> The BSJR QL software site at: "http://members.upc.nl/b.spelten/ql/";
>
> ---
> Deze e-mail is gecontroleerd op virussen door AVG.
> http://www.avg.com

Dave Park
d...@sinclairql.com