Hi Dave,

On 03/10/2019 00:58, Dave Park wrote:
I think we have to remember that people didn't communicate as easily or freely then as we do today, so specifications were far more localized than we'd suspect. If sites had 8 hole punched tape readers, it would be a sensible use. When modems came along, and a parity bit was part of the modem's protocol, it freed up that 8th bit. Lots of people hacking it to their own purposes. Someone with the luxury of a CRT going, "ooooh, I can generate extra characters, graphical elements, all sorts!" and before you know it, ASCII evolves by who communicates the best ;)

Fun times!

You mean, standards! :o)

I had a look over at Wikipedia yesterday (yes, I know) and you've basically summarised the whole tale of ASCII and how it got from a fledgling 6 bit to 7 where it lives now, with it's extra bit hanging on "just because".

Fun times indeed.

Apparently, I am a pedant's baddest nightmare. :o)

Cheers,
Norm

--
Norman Dunbar