My contribution to the debate: my personal test (not quite scientific I'm
afraid) gives for 800x600 display mode :
QL classic
         2bits mode = Arghhh
Aurora
         2bits mode = 1.282sec
QPC2v2 on K6-2/300
         2bits mode =   852sec
        16bits mode = 1.071sec (pre-relesase: 1.250sec)
QXL (original)
         2bits mode =  765sec

That quite as fast as QXL, 20% faster in 16bits mode and 50% faster in 2bits
(native) mode than SGC/Aurora on an (already) quite old PC (two years is old
in PC world).

Great Marcel !

Sad side : similar test on 486 DX2/66MHz machine last only 153sec. The gap
between PC and QL hardware is nowaday  tremendous, and SMSQ speed on a
modern machine would be terrific compared
with Windows machines.

Wishes : now that we have a totally integrated emulator on Windows that
gives us access to DOS files, it would be nice to have the option to
translate directly pure text files from DOS/ANSI to QL character/linefeed
and vice versa