On Fri, 29 Jun 2001 00:20:40 +0100 Q Branch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
writes:
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Thierry
> Godefroy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes

> exception
> >>
> >> "The exception proves the rule"
> >
> >I knew it was risky...   ;-)
> In actual fact the word 'exception' as used in the context of this
> saying originally meant the opposite of what it does today.
> Therefore
> the expression means that an example taken from a a list will
> confirm
> the premise and not the meaning held today that an example which
> contradicts a rule will confirm it. A concept which is plainly
> stupid.
>
> This is a good example of English meaning changing over the years
> and
> people being too happy to parrot a meaningless phrase rather than
> apply
> any thought. The original translation was closest.

I'm sorry to say that the immediately above is spurious and requires
comment:

Actually, the phrase "proves the rule" MAY BE TRANSLATED TO THE
VERNACULAR AS "tests the rule" ...

The almost archaic use of the word "proof" is still (no pun intended)
used in the labeling of alcoholic spirits.

I believe that some fuel ratings are referred to as "test" ...

So, 'the exception _tests_ the rule' is the correct transliteration to
the vernacular.

Similarly, 'the _proof_ is in the pudding' would be transliterated to
'the _test_ is in the pudding'.

Yes, the same word is frequently used as BOTH a verb AND a noun in
English whereby the external form is the same AND the internal form is
etymologically kindred.

Further, Such-and-such "proving grounds" IS readily understood to be
Such-and-such "testing grounds" ...

So, we find the word "proof" and "test" maintain their  synonymous nature
when used as EITHER a verb OR noun OR adjective OR ______.

A common external form (i.e., 'word') having multiple grammatical
utilization is, of course, a consequence of the general lack of
declension and/or conjugation (where applicable) in the English language.

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.