At 01:50 μμ 10/10/2001 +0100, you wrote:
>Phoebus,
>
>You are really sad :o)

Oh yeah! :-)

>Why leave a perfectly good Greece for a home in Pennsylvania ?

Hmmm I still wonder, but fear not.... I'll be back to Europe soon (3/4
years... once I am done with college)... It's plainly too dangerous at this
time to be a foreigner in the US...
(Not to mention stupid things I hear nearly every day... but that's another
story)

>I can see a couple of (minor) flaws with your suggestion, but as an
>exercise, it appeals to my sense of humor quite a bit. The flaws are :
>
>what happens if we use PortAsm/68K and there are bugs in the generated code

I've seen PortAsm sources and it does really work with minimal bugs....
Then again QDOS DOES have bugs anyways...every program does :-) (Even yours
;-)))))) Remember some funny things with FP numbers about 1 year ago?) hehe

>- we'd need to be seriously good Intel assembly language programmers to fix
>that - I suspect only Marcus would be able to sort it out.

And other people that might become interested  (especially because of
QDOS'  approaches in many OS issues) through a forum like SourceForge...
More assembly programmers exist for x86 than all the other platforms
combined I am afraid.

>I'd have to learn Intel assembly myself, then do a series of articles in QL
>Toady - and you'd all get very very bored very very quickly :o)

So we are now :-) (Just kidding :-) hehe

>Have you SEEN Intel assembly - it is awful !

As a matter of fact I have... Not worse than M68K for someone that STARTS
learning now tho ;-)
The goal (again) would be to attract new users... Existing ones are
diminishing anyways :-)

>All the system variables, Basic variables, interrupts, vectors, traps
>whouldn't be there any more so we'd have to either code in C - oops, forgot,
>we can't, no C compiler :o)

True partially. A compiler could be (relatively) easily written. For
example, C68 exists already for many platforms (among them MS-DOS) and I
believe Keith and Dave are ALWAYS up for a challenge :-)

>It just wouldn't be QDOSMSQ any more toto !!

I don't agree with you... the essence of an operating system is its
framework... This would be preserved... Furthermore, as we have discussed
in the past in this list, a turn towards a more-Unix like approach for the
OS kernel would benefit us greatly. (Higher level language for drivers etc...)

>Nice mental exercise though.

It is aint'it? :-)

Phoebus