There are two men in a trolley going up and down on wires past the
window of my office. I'm on the 9th floor. They are spies I'm sure of
it...

Er...Hello, yes, sorry, distracted for a moment.

I've been a bit quiet lately, though I've been lurking and reading all
the posts.  To be honest I haven't been able to spend as much time on
the Q40 exploring and learning as I'd have liked.  I did start working
on something with the intention of getting it in QL Today; hopefully in
the new year, when I've got the house sorted out (which is taking all
my spare time) I'll be able to get it finished.  I'd also like to get
to the Hove workshop in March and put a face to my name (so far, only
Roy has seen me).

I had a look at the previous disk of demos - the Q-Route program looks
useful, but I haven't tried it with a mouse yet.  The only one I've got
is a Microsoft Wheel PS/2 mouse with a PS/2 -> 9 pin converter.  I
tried it once and got absolutely no response out of it at all,
completely dead.  Works on the PC though.

Those men are still going up and down and they're not cleaning the
glass...

Anyway, I was reading Byts of Wood on the train yesterday evening (yes,
I've experienced the deathtrap stairs in Q-Branch Towers - particularly
dangerous when you are struggling down them with a plastic bag full of
floppy disks, books and folders, and the bag is split and the contents
are trying to escape!  ;O)   Where was I, oh yes, the whole article
struck a chord with me - particularly the bit about IBM dropping the
serial and parallel ports.  I use my PC for internet and digital
photography and don't do any programming.  I use the Q40 for dabbling
with programming because its SMSQ/E and SBASIC give me a simple and
[mostly] intuitive programming model that I can understand, unlike
Windoze.  For me, the Q40 is a hobby machine for keeping the old grey
matter exercised by programming which I no longer do professionally, so
the speed of the machine is not really as important to me as it would
be for someone using it as an appliance for running applications. It
has enough features to keep me busy for as long as the machine lasts.
I'm not tempted to keep expanding and upgrading it (even if I could :)
like I have with PCs - and usually regretted it because of all the
hassle.

So a pat on the back to all those involved in coming up with another
'right riveting read'.  It was a very good issue full of interesting
articles and opinions, and the QDT screenshots looked impressive.  The
desktop layout reminds me a bit of the IXI(tm) Desktop I used to work
with on Unix.

Anyway, that's my wittering done.  Enjoy the holidays everyone.  With a
bit of luck I'll be a bit more active QLer next year.

regards,
Ian.

related financial instruments.