I recently got my Minis-QL Aurora out of storage after the cursed
building venture back of this house, and its hard drive wouldn't work.
I left it until I had more time to experiment and tried again. It
worked first time. Again, left it at that. Next time I tried, it
wouldn't work again. Then it would. I suddenly realised that every
time it worked, the room was warm. The Minisql had been in the attic
(where it was fairly cold and damp). Then it was in the dining room,
but we only realised why it was so cold in there when we discovered
the builders hadnt sealed the window; put your hand by the frame and a
strong cold draught. SO in a fit of temper my wife sealed it herself
rather than wait for me or builder to do the job. All of a sudden, as
long as it's comfortiable temperature for a human the MinisQL hard
drive works consistently, though I'm still reluctant to commit
anything important to it. My hard drive failures (as opposed to
straight forward crashes) always seem to have happened when the
equipment is cold, I don't know if it's down to any lubrications
inside not working well when cold (like me) or condensation or
something like that.

Boy am I glad I didn't reformat that MinisQL drive!

I would hazard a guess that as drive capacities get higher and denser
that the mechanisms get more and more delicate and it takes less to
tip them over the edge.

I know from my audio technician past and working briefly at Peacock
Electronics that motors in cd players for example tend to have their
lubrication innards fail when they've been standing or very cold for
some time. A fellow engineer used to put 2-3 times the normal voltage
across the motor (in the case of little walkmen cd players a PP3
battery) for a few seconds on the grounds that OK it was already bust
as far as the owner was concerned  so if he burned it out, no extra
problem, the m0tor had to be replaced anyway, but 9 times out of 10 it
started up the motor (worryingly fast!) and released the insides and
miraculously got it to work. Needless to say, we never told the owner
what we'd done! Oh, and to show the mentality of that engineer, he
used to test the PP3 9V battery first by putting his tongue across
both contacts...

Hard drive failures are not uncommon Bill, and not always total
failures.

--
Dilwyn Jones
[EMAIL PROTECTED]