Hi all,
since I wanted to help you avoid the trouble of testing it yourselves I
removed one of the cards and reinserted it several times while my computer
was on.

Results:

1. If the card was in during boot time, removal and reinsertion did nothing
:-) The computer still saw the card as if nothing had happened
2. If the card was out during boot time, insertion and removal had NO
effect on either the card, the reader OR the O/S ( Translation: The
computer saw no drive period!)
3. For (2) Warm reset did not enable the computer to see the card. Cold
reset did (Translation. The bus needs to be reinitialised)

Now all of the above are not set in stone and different computers might
operate differently under different circumstances and so (and that's my
disclaimer)
I will not provide warranty cover for the drives if they are removed and
reinserted during operation and I will not be held liable for any damage to
the OS but at least we know that a couple of times (ie accidentaly) won't
harm the computer, the cards or the reader.

Thanks,

Phoebus