After 12 years of using my QL with a keyboard interface, there is no way
that I am going back.

I think the true solution to the membrane issue is to get a keyboard
interface.  Then, if the keyboard dies, there are tons more
available.  Plus, you can get one to the layout and color that you like.  I
was able to find a black Acer keyboard for $5, 3 years ago.  Plus, with the
Keyboard-90 Interface I can use the CueCat bar code scanner that Radio
Shack was giving away.

I also have a habit of beating on a keyboard when not in the best of
spirits.  The keyboard I can sacrifice, the QL I can not.  It's safely
tucked under a small wooden table I've build to hold the monitor.

Tim Swenson