Norman Dunbar wrote:-

>Darren,
>Computing isn't as much fun these days I think. When I was a lad (warning
:
>old git stuff coming next) we had a choice of lots of different and
strange
>computers (most of which seem to be in your collection) but nowadays its a
>PC or nothing (ok, PC or SGI :o) ) and it isn't fun because programming is
>'difficult'.

I agree totally. Whats more, not only is programming more difficult, but
more expensive. What do you buy now if you only have a couple hundred quid
and want to start computing? Your only option is a second hand PC - It'll
buy you nothing new. I bought my Speccy for £99.95.. Granted, that was a
bit of money in 1983, but not as much as £1,000+ is now for a new PC. What
I'm saying is it was easier to get into then and was a relatively cheap
hobby once you'd got the gear. Not any more :-)) I think I spend more on my
PC than I do on my Girlfriend... probably more time too.

>The only thing that breaks the montony is Linux - you can get
>some good arguments going between Windows and Linux fans. Just like the
old
>days when Specctrum owners wouldn't be seen having a sensible conversation
>with C64 owners.

True. I remember some of the hum-dinger battles that used to go on in the
Sinclair mags about C64 owners - wow, slagging off didn't come into it. All
good, healthy fun though.
PC v. Mac can get good too. My Cousin was a die hard C64 user....grrrrr..!!
I remember a huge row that developed at an All-formats show in Belfast
too... Ahhh, its all flooding back... Not nearly the same now, is it?

>Nostalgia isn't the same as it used to be !

Yeah. I tried to explain all this to an 18 year old who missed it all and
recently started in the programmer section here in the bank. I showed him
some of the games (Driller, Knight Lore, JSW, to name a few - running on an
emulator on my old Laptop) and he was STUNNED you could get a huge, multi
level, full colour game with sound into a mere 48K.... Unlike the bloatware
Windoze stuff these days. I'll show him some of the Z80 machine code
routines I wrote on a 1K Zx-81 some day... ;-))

Or course, you never get people arguing over the QL....;-))  (back on
Topic!)

Darren.

are addressed. If you have received this email in error please
notify us immediately at [EMAIL PROTECTED] and delete this E-mail
from your system. Thank you.
It is possible for data transmitted by email to be deliberately or
accidentally corrupted or intercepted. For this reason, where the
communication is by email, the Bank of Ireland Group does not accept
any responsibility for any breach of confidence which may arise
through the use of this medium.
 for the presence of known computer viruses.