>>On 30/08/02 at 22:22 Phoebus Dokos wrote:

>>>1. Have anybody successfully overclocked the SGC? If yes to which freq.?

>> Yes, I have, but only to 25MHz - because I only had oscillators for less
>> or equal to that, which could fit the space... I may be persuaded to try
it
>> again

> Define "MAY be persuaded...."  :=))))

Ah, as one good quote goes for one bad movie: time is the fire in which we
burn...
If I get the time during the long week-end, I may have some results for
you.

>> BTW Phoebus, your Qubide is still here. I will be (with some luck)
sending
>> it over next week with a new set of GALs, these will be a bit
>> experimental, so I will include a pair of the standard V2 GALs as well.

> Ohhhhh with the new logic you were talking about a while back :-)
> Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiceeee!!!!! just on time to attach to my new toy :-)

A long time ago, when the lrespr version of the driver came out, Phil
Borman also mentioned locations that needed to be patched if Qubide was set
to an address different than the ROM port. If you have the lrespr version
somewhere, I would apreciate an email with it attached :-)

>>>P.S. And oh! being in the subject of crazy stuff... anyone had any ideas
>>>on how to attach a QXL-II on a Aurora ? (That would be a nice adaptor;-)
>>QL bus to ISA :-)

>>It should not be to difficult, actually, assuming one finds the space. In
>>fact, it would be easyest to attach it to the ROM slot, as strange as
that
>>sounds.

Someone mentioned the Miracle HDD interface. It would work with
modifications because it decodes different addresses that the ones QXLs
normally use. Another possibility would be the Falkenburg interface, that
one also used a QL to ISA (8-bit) adapter. It would probably also need some
changes.

>Would the Aurora initialize without the "original" processor of the SGC?
>Or would that be a case of trying a "boot up then discard" use of the
>68008FN on the Aurora instead of an SGC in anticipation of the GF?

I don't understand the question? The Aurora has no CPU on board and relies
on the SGC to supply one (or, more correctly, an emulation). A 68008FN (or
even the regular one) would work just fine as a regular 'standard' QL
without MDVs given the correct connection of the 68008 to the bus. A proper
decoder would make it look like a 256kB QL of sorts.

>Well in that case I would rather conserve my "skills" in soldering
>(emphasis on the quotes) to realizing that 68008FN + 4 Meg memory upgrade
>you proposed way back (of course due to my crash you would have to send me
>again that little text diagram you had sent the list.... if that's not too
>much trouble :-))

If I find it!
But that was based on a regular 68008 QL as a simple 512k memory expansion.
Someone was actually selling suitable 512k chips on eBay a while ago (on
three occasions, different versions). The DIP verisions which are nice and
large and easily soldered, seem to be very sought after as 10 'recycled'
ones went for over $30. OTOH, SO surface mount ones went for $63 for 40
brand new chips.
For the 68008FN the ideal solution would be taking two dynamic RAMs off an
old 72-pin SIMM of 16MB capacity (the ones with 8 chips). The interfacing
logic is however far more complicated and would best be fitted into a small
programmable logic chip - for instance, along with the decode for a CF card
and a transcode of addresses so everything appears where expected by the
OS. Even with static RAM it would not be much simpler...

Nasta

  • ... Phoebus Dokos
    • ... ZN
      • ... Φοίβος Ρ. Ντόκος