On  Sat, 28 Sep 2002 at 13:32:12, P Witte wrote:
(ref: <000601c266fb$dcc49390$0100a8c0@gamma>)

>Tony Firshman writes:
>
>While were having this little chat let me point out to Tony that I often
>find your replies very hard to find. See the example below.
>
><lines and lines of "quoted" text>
>
>>Note: In I/E 6: There does not *seem* to be the offer of the -
>>
>>'>' etc as a prefix but a standardisation on ':'
>Interesting - I have _never_ seen ':' until now.   <--- Tony's reply
I agree you sent this to me as quoted text, but it is up to _your_
mailer to add the quoted text mark, not  me.
I fail to see what I can do.
I have to send items starting at column one, and looking at the sent
item in my filed mail (I do have the option to view the raw text, it
looks fine.
.... ie exactly what I am seeing on screen.
All I get in TP is quoted text in red.

>>See example below
>
><more lines and lines of quoted text>
>
>Perhaps, because your email program does "intelligent" things to the text to
>emphasise the thread logic in some way, you may not realise the problem even
>now. Try viewing it in a text-only application to see what I mean; your
>reply gets completely lost in the ambient verbiage!
... but this is the text received from you, and looks exactly the same
as I see in Turnpike.
>This has been the case
>as long as Ive been on this list, so in the early days, when I believed all
>email clients were the same, I made sure to leave a blank line above and
>below my own inserted responses (I wonder how that comes across on some
>people's screens!) If Im the only person with this "problem" I apologise for
>taking up your time - otherwise, perhaps you might consider adapting your
>style for the benefit of your reading public?

You are using Outlook Express - the same mailer as Bill's.

I know I usually get msgs from Outlook with the whole original message
appended to the bottom.
How did you get threaded - did you cut and paste?
Maybe that is defeating Outlook.

--
         QBBS (QL fido BBS 2:252/67) +44(0)1442-828255
  tony@<surname>.demon.co.uk  http://www.firshman.demon.co.uk