In article <00db01c26897$1e60b580$dc169fd4@johns>, John G Hitchcock
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes

A bit OT ... yet a couple of comments :-)

>It you want to amaze a child used to playing on a games console, try telling
>them that computer games used to come on cassette tapes. In 1982, proud
>owners of the Sinclair ZX Spectrum (which boasted a stunning 16K - that's
>kilobytes - of memory in its basic configuration) would connect the audio
>output of the cassette recorder to the Spectrum's input; the program,
>recorded as a series of high and low tones, was then translated into data
>and loaded into memory.

If anyone is a 'Spectrum' collector then a batch of books, tapes, etc,
will be available at the London Quanta meeting in November.  These were
passed on by Roy Wood.

>Getting a handle on the preservation of this digital data is the purpose of
>the Digital Preservation Coalition (DPC), which last week announced an
>action plan "to ensure that the digital information we are producing is not
>lost to current and future generations".
>
>At the launch of the project, which has backing from 19 UK organisations -
>including the Public Record Office (PRO), the Joint Information Systems
>Committee of the Higher and Farther Education Funding Councils (JISC), the
>British Library and the University of London - a pertinent example was
>mentioned: the BBC Domesday Project. This was a multimedia project that
>eventually produced a pair of interactive video discs, made by the BBC, to
>celebrate the 900th anniversary of the original Domesday Book. More than a
>million people contributed in some way, providing offerings from schools and
>researchers.

My school was one of the contributers to this project ... and had photos
of the local High Street, etc, on the Domesday Disc.

Problem was it required a special player, made by Phillips, which didn't
become popular - the discs were the size of LP records.  So I guess few
will ever be able to read this electronic Domesday in future !

>These were then stored on the discs and could be viewed using a BBC Acorn
>computer. It was claimed that it would take you more than seven years to
>look at everything on the discs. However, by the time you had looked at all
>that content, the computers would long since have become obsolete. And
>that's pretty much what has happened: "As a multimedia resource and
>interactive learning tool it was unsurpassed," said Loyd Grossman, chairman
>of the DPC. "Yet despite those achievements, the problems of hardware and
>software dependence have now rendered the system obsolete. With few working
>examples left, the information on this incredible historical object will
>soon disappear forever."

I can attest to that !

>Items are sent to the PRO when they are at least 30 years old; most are
>weeded out over time, and regarded as not worth keeping as a matter of
>historical record about the working of government, and so the PRO only
>receives 3 per cent of the paperwork that was generated in any department.
>It was even so for 2001 - covering the period stretching back to 1971 and
>(for more secret documents) even earlier, which generated a stack of paper
>that covers the equivalent of 1.5 kilometres (0.9 miles) of shelf space. And
>in a few years, there will be more and more computer tapes and disks. The
>question is, how should they be preserved? And what is the best medium and
>encoding format to make them available over the long term, perhaps hundreds
>of years?

I expect pen and paper,and newsprints, etc, will still be around for a
long time to come.

--
Malcolm Cadman