> > I thought to be clear, that replacing membranes is something completelly
> > different than refurbishing and replacing parts of the QL itself.
> > Qeyboard might be a very nice idea, but useless if you need to keep the
> > QL in original condition. My point of view is not of the developer/QL
> > fan etc., but of the collector, that needs an original QL up and
> > running. So, Qeyboard and membranes, are not competitive to eachother. I
> > would never modify my QLs anyway :-)
>
> The Qeyboard is mechanically compatible with membranes, and doesn't alter
> the operational or cosmetic characteristics of the QL. Just so ya know!
> Also, there are a couple of weaknesses in the design of the membrane which
> could be overcome if a new batch were made. Also, the jig used for making
> the membranes has to take into account the bend in the top case. If the
> membranes are made flat, they will wrinkle when properly assembled. The
> jig has to have a 1.5 degree curl up from the middle to the left edge.

Very interesting detail! I will have to keep it in mind!

> > I need to build a "dossier" with all membrane specs and/or scans and
> > drawing, in order to give it away quickly. Could anybody help me on that
> > part?
> >
> > If you are interested (I am) I could inquire about building on the same
> > batch, membranes for the ZX48K and the ZXPlus or ZX81s. But I would
> > really need their designs in electronic form.
>
> Might I be so bold as to suggest that we offer to buy the tooling and make
> classic membranes ourselves? It would give us much greater flexibility,
> and remove the element of a manufacturer making profit, which leaves
> something in it for the dealers while getting users lower prices.

Tooling in terms of machinery costs several thousands of pounds. Building
the mask ourselves using some CAD s/w is the best way to realy cut down the
costs. It would if someone has already designed the masks of the Spectrums,
or even the QL before, he could help us to re-design, as we could use the
same elements/pads and metrics. Any volunteers?

  • ... RWAPSoftware
    • ... Tony Firshman
    • ... Dave P
    • ... Voyager