Hi all,

Here I am, stirring up controversy again...

In my *humble* opinion, most QLs are at end of life. Many of their
capacitors are dry, membranes are problematic, and they're expanded in
many and various ways... I don't think there are two expanded QLs that are
the same. Different HD formats, different OS versions... I think if people
were to upgrade their machines to a common spec, it would be ludicrously
expensive.

We all know Nasta's been working on Goldfire for an age and a half, and
that the Q60 is available if you've got the money. We also know that QLs
aren't about performance, or we'd all be doing soemthing else... :o)

So, the room (still!) exists for a low cost platform to run SMSQ/E. By low
cost I mean under 200 ukp. This should include all the basic interfaces
one would expect. Mouse and keyboard, IDE, floppy, CF, memory expansion
possibilities, video output, etc.

I've previously touted the ARM7500FE and their equivalents as
possibilities for a low cost platform, running linux and uQLx. I still
think this is a really great way to go, if raw speed isn't an issue.

Also, there are similarly embedded Coldfire processors, and now the source
for SMSQ/E exists, it's feasable to make them worthwhile.

I've decided piecemeal patches and fixes and add-ons are not in the best
interest of the community, in my opinion. They allow people to carry on
using the same old things, and they're excuses to not move forward. But
then when you say that, a separate crowd digs their heals in and doesn't
want to move forward. They like the exact look and feel they have now, and
don't feel inclined to change, thankyouverymuch! (Yet these same people
pay hand over fist to maintain their existing systems!)

So what are the chances that we could sit around this virtual table and
throw out some ideas for a primarily "low cost" platform, of the type that
would be cheap and easy to assemble, use standard components as much as
possible, needn't be elegant but must be reliable and have other QL
qoalities (low power, no noise, very easy to use, cute black case ;)

What's out there?

Nasta, what do you need to get GF finished and out there?

Dave