On Mon, 28 Oct 2002, Norman Dunbar wrote:

> I suspect you'll find that scholls nowadays are all 'mainstream' in that
> they have a pile of PCs running Windows. They are, after all, training the
> 'yoof of today' to be able to work in the offices of today, or the next

Maybe I wasn't clear... :o)

Old PC XTs used to be able to share some of the functionality of the beeb,
but now we have these superfast, PCI-only (no ISA) PCs, they just CAN'T do
a lot of the things they used to, without very very expensive cards. We're
not talking about computer departments, we're talking about
technology/engineering departments, where robotics, data
acquisition/control practical work is done...

> I'd love to see the QL 'bounce back' but I'm afraid I'm very sceptical when
> ideas are put forward to get it going as a 'mainstream' computer. I'm sad to
> say that the QL - and its derivatives - are more than likely destined to
> remain a hobby.

I agree with you on this! The QL will not be making any kind of
resurgence. However, elements of the QL can go forward in other things,
and in such a way that the community benefits. If we had a really compact
embedded board with serial/IR keyboard/programming in BASIC (a bit like a
super BASIC STAMP module, but more powerful ;) it could sell by the
bucketload.

It's all a case of what can we convince people to buy, and still benefit
the community from.

Dave

              • ... Darren Branagh
            • ... wlenerz