Microsoft has issued "Service Pack 1" for XP which can be downloaded
their site -- available for the past month ... it is a free download.

In addition to fixing (?) a security hole (!), it may have updated
drivers.

Al

On Tue, 29 Oct 2002 22:57:11 -0800 James Hunkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
writes:

> Peter,
>
> You might  make sure that your XP audio drivers are completely up to
>
> date.  There have been many early driver issues with XP that were or
>
> are being fixed.  Some of these problems will not always be noticed
>
> with some operations but may with other calls to the system.
>
> Jim
>
> On Tuesday, October 29, 2002, at 05:31  PM, Marcel Kilgus wrote:
>

> > Peter Fox wrote:
> >> Can anybody please explain why, using QPC 3.03, I get a pleasant
> noise
> >> from the Wall under Windows 98 and a rather nasty noise for the
> same
> >> thing under Windows XP?
> >
> > Strange as with 3.03 the sound code is almost exactly the same on
> both
> > OSs.
> >
> >> I would love to be able to kill the XP noise, somehow
> >
> > You can configure SMSQE.BIN manually using MenuConfig and disable
> > sound/reduce volume.
> >
> > Marcel

Only $9.95 per month!
Visit www.juno.com