On  Thu, 2 Jan 2003 at 11:14:46, Norman Dunbar wrote:
(ref: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>)

>>>  English was probably my worst subject at school ( but then I am a
>>> Geordie (;-) ) however even I get annoyed at the way it gets abused ( my
>>> biggest cringe is the use of uz instead of us ) but do we not have to
>>> bear these abuses as they do become part of the language ( as it
>>> changes )
>
>My pet hate(s) are :
><Norman pet hates snipped>
Mine is the loss of 'number', 'fewer' and so on.

ie the incorrect:
'amount of people'
'less cars'

and so on.  It removes meaning in many cases.

If you can count it - fewer, many, number etc
if not - much, less etc

Non-English speakers are still mainly correct.
I don't mind language developing at all, as long as subtleties of
meaning are kept.  If the spoken language cannot express exact meaning,
then maybe we cannot even _think_ the meaning.
Hence the need for words like 'schadenfreude'

Bushism to beat all:
"The French don't even have a word for entrepreneur"
(pronounced, I am sure, entrepenyouer)
--
         QBBS (QL fido BBS 2:252/67) +44(0)1442-828255
     tony@<surname>.co.uk  http://www.firshman.co.uk