----- Original Message -----
From: "Dilwyn Jones" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, February 09, 2003 2:55 PM
Subject: Re: [ql-users] Progress bar

> (-) then
> printed
> > and a host of others.
> > This spinning chr is also on Promise Raid card.
> > ... and in XTreeGold.
> And closer to home, by Geoff Wicks in his programs, e.g. in QL2PC
> while transferring a large file.

There is nothing particularly clever in this. QL-2-PC is transfering word
processings files byte by byte and everytime it comes across a full stop it
prints either a forward or backward slash. This is just to let the user know
that the program and the computer had not crashed. I have just rebuilt a
QTYP dictionary using QTYP_ded and this program does not have this facility.
You spend a lot of time wondering if there has been a crash.

QL-2-PC always checks the length of a file and it would be a simple matter
to have a bar indicating progress, but I wonder whether this would be
worthwhile. Most transfers are fairly quick and adding a progress routine
would slow down the process.

BTW I shall use the opportunity to publicise my new email address -
[EMAIL PROTECTED] - this is my prefered address from now on, although I shall
keep the hotmail address for a little while yet.

Geoff Wicks.