Tony Firshman writes:

> > I once had an old mechanical calculating
> >machine, given to me by my grandfather to play with when the bank he
worked
> >for upgraded to electro-mechanical ones. I later used it for my homework,
> >the only kid at school with access to a calculator, (something I had to
keep
> >secret as my teacher would not have approved.) Division was quite a
> >convoluted affair involving multiple subtractions and shifts. I used that
> >same algorithm later in my assembler longword division routine.
>
> I am your grandfather it seems, as these were, other than slide rules,
> the only mechanical things we had at Imperial College in the 60s.

Unlikely, but Id be happy to adopt you as mines gone missing ;)

> Even transistors were new then (8-)#
>
> Was yours the one you had to turn a handle - one way for addition and
> the other for subtraction,  and shift manually?

Exactly! A good athlete could squeeze between 0.1 and 0.4 flops out of one
of those. A proficient abacus user would beat that hands down, though.

> Using methods like that, as you say, give one a good feel for the
> mechanics of programming.

I believe the algorithms used today are fundamentally the same.

> The same could be said for the UK101 (almost all discrete 74X TTLs) and
> computer hardware.
>
> Sinclair ULAs don't give any good feel of what the poor old computer is
> actually _doing_ at the basic level.
>
> Even the system clock on the UK101 was divided by 7404s!

Developments have been incredible since then! I wonder if we are entering a
phase of diminishing returns and consolidation or whether were going to see
changes on that scale for the next 40 years.

Per