Tony Firshman wrote:

On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 at 00:43:09, Lau wrote: (ref: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>)

My suggestion of one byte buffers was a little facetious (one of the two words was the five vowels in order - there's one with them reversed).

'was' -> 'with'
Ah that is worth remembering as it help spell the damn word (8-)
I have to be beardless as I can't find hash on this Malaysian machine.
I am in Kuala Lumpur setting up hardware for worldnews.com.
There is no web server on the Windows machine with my email program. I am using VNC to get at the windows machine via the worldnews VPN using 192.168 addressing. Pretty good. Last night I was also listening to the Archers while working on my home machine. Almost as good as being home (8-)

Sound like fun. I guess it's a little warmer than home...

Still food is cheaper here - 55p for a large lunch of chicken, broth, green veg etc ( what we might call soup here) second bowl of noodles and other things on the side. They have a 1 ringgit note (15p)

The 100 lira note? I think it's finally gone, but that was worth 6p.

subcontinental
...The one I knew.
uncomplimentary
...The one I partially discount because of the "y".
duoliteral
...A silly word - what does it mean?

abstemious
...The one I knew.
arterious
...I think I may have come across this one before... but I doubt you can add "ly" to it.
annelidous
...pertaining to annelids? I think you've made this one up!

Do I win a prize.
No.
  Lau - remember the BBC puzzle panel where I came up
with more answers that they expected as well (8-)

.... and you won the following week.

How about a puzzle thread on here?
Q. What's the longest monosyllabic word? (Clue: ryrira yrggref)

How about the geometric mean of our two responses - that would be 128 bytes - but even better would be 124 bytes, which will have long alignment going for it and will certainly save some code (you can do it with MOVEQ).

Great to see you still thinking this way Lau. You are the master of code saving. I will never forget your use of JMP instead of JSR in bp.init.

How many bytes was your Forth (and a good implementation so you said) - 4k?

Now you're asking... the original was implemented as a Spectrum Basic program that multi-pass executed/interpretted itself to generate the machine code for Forth in screen memory. 600 bytes is a number that rings a bell. The 4K was the enhanced QL version.

Muses... that would be a project... A QL ROM without SuperBasic, but with multitasking OO Forth instead. Lots faster, but maybe a few compatibility problems. Any takers?

--
Lau
http://www.bergbland.info