In a message dated 12/11/2003 08:38:06 GMT Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] makes some magical things to make me read
} Is it me, or was the GD2 standard supposed to allow each program to run at
} its own set colour depth and screen resolution, with the WMAN resetting these as
} you move between tasks......

It's probabbly you. At least GD2 sprite handling is now such that you can
use any sprite definition and the system will first try to use the native one
and when not available will adapt the preferable one.
Also the new color coding in Wman (on word) is absolut, irrelevant of the screen mode (but I wonder how it can adapt when used with a mode 4 display ?)
And finally, but I'm not a master of them, there is this 'palette' coding.
Maybe it is per-application (I have not yet tried to use it)... or may be not.

I would say, at least that a single sprite definition is all you need: GD2 will adapt it (very useful for Q40 / QPC coding: only one sprite to code!)
The problem with writing these programs is if you want to change the screen colour depth and resolution to fit your application (why should QWord use the standard QL colours on QPC2 when it can switch into high colour mode).  If the user then puts QWord to sleep or switches to another task, the screen is corrupted which is a pain - for example, the button frame is still drawn at the original resolution and does not notice that some of the buttons now appear OFF-screen (because QWord has changed the screen resolution).

Worse still is that if you put QWord to sleep, you get one high colour definition button which appears on top of the old QL colour scheme button frame - very odd indeed!!

--
Rich Mellor
RWAP Services

In need of adventure?

Stuck with ordinary dial up internet connection ??

Read our review of internet accelerators and broadband at:
URL:http://www.rwapservices.co.uk