Hi all,

I was talking to Simon again about the Cybiko - apparently some of the
retailers mentioned on the web site are currently doing 2  for the price of
1 - which is (according to simon) where the cybiko comes into its own. He
has a Cybiko linked to his computer over a TCP/IP connection, with the
second cybiko as a wireless internet link to the other that is connected to
the computer.

to quote from his email :-

"
Follow the link to Dosocery shops and you'll find they're doing
two for the price of one ATM. Two Cybikos are better than twice
as good as one, because of the radio link, and then you can use
one as a base-station plugged into a TCP network and mains power
and the other is a wireless/WAP internet terminal, with no connect
charges. The programs to do this - on Windoze and Linux - are
freely available.
"

this is probably what I'll do - quite useful about the house!!

Agreed, the garish colours are very kid orientated, but they certainly are
a cheap toy for the long winter nights!!

cheers,

Darren Branagh,
Bank of Ireland - Cards And Loans Business,
Nassau House, 33/35 Nassau Street, Dublin 2. Ireland.
Tel: 01-6798230  Fax: 01-6706813.

BOI Group Data Classification -

                      Tony Firshman

                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]         To:      [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                      o.uk>                    cc:

                      Sent by:                 Subject: Re: [ql-users] Cybiko Driver
for QDOS
                      [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                      g.uk

                      31/12/2003 20:51

                      Please respond

                      to ql-users

On  Wed, 31 Dec 2003 at 18:34:12, Malcolm Cadman wrote:
(ref: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>)

>In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Tony Firshman
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
>>
>>On  Tue, 30 Dec 2003 at 13:15:52,  wrote:
>>(ref: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>)
>>>
>>>Hi All,
>>>
>>>Hope you all got over the Cringle..............
>>>
>>>I got a Email Xmas Card late on X,as Eve from Simon Goodwin. Basically
just
>>>the usual chat about becoming a dad etc, but he did mention one
interesting
>>>thing.........
>>>
>>>He has Written a QDOS driver for a Cybiko. What? i hear you all
ask......
>>>A Cybiko is a nifty cheap russian PDA - one of the few around that still
>>>uses a RS232 serial cable to link to a PC/Mac (and now a QL, thanks to
>>>Simon) instead of USB. They are available in 3 colours, and cost just 20
>>>quid sterling each - dirt cheap, considering what you get.
>>>
>>>see   www.cybiko.com
>>Sounds interesting if only one could get on the site:
>>"Sorry, this service isn't available now.
>>Please, visit our site later"
>
>I had no problem ... with a dial-up call ... and you have Broadband :-)
They have got the site working now.

Looks quite a package and at an amazing price.
I assume £20 was not a misprint.

I must say though I am very put off by the kid-speak in the pdf manual,
and the flashy design.

It is clearly aimed at kids - especially for the local wireless link.

'Cybish' language confirms it.

Mind you Ben's comment was "Nobody likes them - it makes you look like a
nerd".  Mind you there are lots of nerds about out there (8-)#

They have 'business/personal' way way down in the manual, after games
etc.

RF2915  I do not recognise.  It cannot be wifi - pity.

RF2915 wireless link I guess is not compatible with anything, and only
only 19200bps.
That makes for S L O W internet via one of the units connected to a
'real' computer.

I wonder if they are limited to pda sites - ie what browser is there.
--
         QBBS (QL fido BBS 2:252/67) +44(0)1442-828255
     tony@<surname>.co.uk  http://www.firshman.co.uk

are addressed. If you have received this email in error please
notify us immediately at [EMAIL PROTECTED] and delete this E-mail
from your system. Thank you.
It is possible for data transmitted by email to be deliberately or
accidentally corrupted or intercepted. For this reason, where the
communication is by email, the Bank of Ireland Group does not accept
any responsibility for any breach of confidence which may arise
through the use of this medium.
for the presence of known computer viruses.