OK, I don't know much about Epson printers, I admit, but as to HP printers, they
all _still_ understand direct (HPPCL-) commands and you can print plain text to
them without a problem from the QL.

I just checked the (German) HP homepage. I have not found a single printer where the technical datasheet states that it handles PCLx...

Can it be assumed that all of them do? In case you buy one
and it doesn't anymore - no real reason to complain as it
is not a documented feature anymore.

However, if they all do it - let's hope they continue to
do it... as this will probably be the only solution then.

Regards Jochen