> This means that Quanta would have a sum of about £1,000 each year to
spend
> on QL development. How should they spend this money?
>
> In fact Quanta would have two possible ways of financially
stimulating QL
> development. Major projects (SGC successor?) could be financed out
of the
> capital. These would have to be backed with good business plans and
legal
> safeguards to ensure that there was a return on the capital and that
Quanta
> does not lose its favourable tax status. Minor projects (mainly
software?)
> could be financed out of subscription income. No financial return
would be
> expected from these and thus there would be fewer legal difficulties
over
> tax etc.
>
> Remember your subscription is your money, not Quanta's. How would
you like
> them to spend it on your behalf?
After a brief exchange of correspondence with Per Witte about programs
we've both been writing recently, I came to the conclusion that one
possible expenditure might be to bring SDUMP up to date, to provide us
with screen dumps for more printers (i.e. HP printers and possibly
Canon control code sets) and also to cope with GD2 modes. If this was
done, it would provide a rudimentary basis for writing graphical
applications without having to write printer dumps from scratch or
learning to program for Proforma/Prowess.

I have a (roughly) one third written graphics program I'd meant
originally to include as a basic paint program with Launchpad but it
was too much work and would have delayed Launchpad quite a bit, so
it's sat on my hard disk waiting for me to pluck up the courage to
tackle adding GD2 screen dumps! (fat chance at the moment)

Sdump is available as an Sdump_rext file which can be loaded resident
on emulators etc and provides the necessary basic and assembler
interfaces, so people like myself who write mostly in compiled basic
could easily use it, and the assembler entries could probably be
easily made available to C programmers too.

Does this fall into the parameters of what you were looking for
Geoff - the possibility of paying someone to extend the SDUMP system.
--
Dilwyn Jones

          • ... Arnould Nazarian
          • ... Wolfgang Lenerz