Actually courier-imap provides pop3 server too.

http://www.inter7.com/courierimap.html
* A compatible POP3 server is also included in the Courier-IMAP package,
that uses the same authentication modules. The POP3 server can only access
the INBOX, and cannot access any folders.

It is possible that pop3 server provided by qmail and qmail-ldap is faster.

Courier-IMAP pop3 server should be able to work with qmail-ldap, if you
install courier-imap with ldap support.

It is also possible that pop3 server would work if you replace courier
authentication modules with the ones provides by qmail-ldap.