> So, to conclude:
> - - don't use debian qmail package

maybe you should say don't mix patched debian qmail with qmail-ldap
patches, because some of the patches implement same functions.

> - - don't try to 'fit in' debian's directory structure. You may, of
> course, make
> symlinks from /etc/qmail to /var/qmail/control, it makes life easier.

qmail packages don't pass lintian tests, because qmail install does not
follow FHS.

> PS and I am glad I got rid of courier package (quite large) and can use
> qmail-imapd now!

P.S.
tail -n 1 /var/qmail/boot/qmail-imapd/run
        $COURIER/bin/imapd "$ALIASEMPTY"

Guess what imap server you are using. :)

By using imap server started by daemontools, you are only using service
that does not use courier-authdaemon, it is harder to kill that service
and logs don't fill your disk.