> Hi guys,
>

> Does auth_smtp check the password in LDAP_PASSWD field like auth_pop and
> auth_imap? If not, how does auth_smtp authentication happen?
>
> I'm asking this because QLDAPINSTALL says this field serves just for
> auth_pop and auth_imap authentication.

QLDAPINSTALL
~control/ldappassword
If rcpt verify or auth_smtp is used... you should check qmail-ldap mailing
list history.

- -----------------
Since 20031001 patch QmailLDAP supports SMTP authentication protocol (rfc
2554). Use of 20050401 patch or later is recommended. Only PLAIN
authentication schema is supported. CRAM-MD5 and DIGEST-MD5 authentication
schemas are not implemented. CRAM-MD5 requires features that are not
enabled in qmail-ldap by default. DIGEST-MD5 requires specific user name
layout (i think).

SMTP authentication is enabled by adding SMTPAUTH variable to tcpserver's
environment. If you use daemontools (http://cr.yp.to/daemontools.html)
startup scripts supplied by qmail-ldap 20031101 or later, you can do that
by adding

<pre>
:allow,SMTPAUTH=""
</pre>

to /var/qmail/control/qmail-smtpd.rules and running command 'make' in
/var/qmail/control directory.

If you set SMTPAUTH value to TLSREQUIRED (SMTPAUTH="TLSREQUIRED"), then
authentication will work only in TLS encrypted sessions. See information
about compiling and installing qmail ldap with TLS support.

In order to authenticate users, smtp server's user (normally qmaild) must
be able to validate password entered by user with information stored in
LDAP userPassword field. Access to this field is usually restricted and
qmaild user does not have enough privileges to access ldap connection
information.

There are two possible solutions to this problem.

First solution is to give read access rights to qmaild user or nofiles
group on /var/qmail/control/ldappassword configuration file.

<pre>
# chgrp nofiles /var/qmail/control/ldappassword
# chmod 640 /var/qmail/control/ldappassword
</pre>

or

<pre>
# chmod 400 /var/qmail/control/ldappassword
# chown qmaild /var/qmail/control/ldappassword
</pre>

Second solution is to enable ldaprebind in /var/qmail/control/ldaprebind.

<pre>
# echo 1 > /var/qmail/control/ldaprebind
</pre>

If ldap rebind is used, qmaild user must be able to retrieve user's dn in
anonymous LDAP connection and authenticate to LDAP server with retrieved
user's dn and password provided by user. Password schema used in
userPassword field must be supported by LDAP server's authentication
system.

Fix grammar and style, recheck urls and recommended patch dates (tested on
20050401 patch, there are some auth issues listed in QLDAPNEWS).

wiki/Auth_smtp is in man page format. Manual pages are usually short and
do not contain detailed configuration guides.

http://www.lifewithqmail.org/ldap/#SMTP%20AUTH
http://www.qmail-ldap.org/wiki/Lwql#SMTP_AUTH
http://www.qmail-ldap.org/wiki/Configuration_FAQ#How_do_I_enable_SMTP-AUTH.3F

- --