Roger Thomas wrote:

Quoting Roger Thomas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

I am really interested how you guys perform your daily backup on
/var/qmail. My /var/qmail is currently occupying 6.4GB of disk space.
How should I go backing up this on a daily basis. Example shell
script please. TIA.

--
roger

The backup is not for my personal mail. The 6.4GB belongs to some 11,000 users
that are currently using my free webmail services. So I would like to know
backing up best-practices with this type of environment.

Roger,
i imagine your asking because you don't have a raid 5 for whatever reason. Neither do i. But i do have a backup server. if you have a seperate disk or backup server, use rsync. I rsync qmail and home directories on my production server to a hot standby server. The first rsync will take a while, but later attempts will be quicker. If you run linux at home or cygwin, you can run rsync from home if your server only has one disk. try this: http://www.mikerubel.org/computers/rsync_snapshots/ you can do incremental tar too, but if you have a hard disk problem, the tar file will probably be hosed too.