Hi,

I'm working in an ISP and we have several clusters of
smtp servers handling customer's email needs.The email
flow looks like this. For incoming mails, they are
being received by two load-balanced smtp running
sendmail with a patch applied to it for it to be able
to querry a mysql database. This database is custom
made, AFAIK, and it contains only 1 table, the first
column contains actual email accounts
([EMAIL PROTECTED]), while the second one
contains their email address with some more
informations appended to it such as
[EMAIL PROTECTED] or
[EMAIL PROTECTED] This two columns are
used by sendmail in determining which smtp host the
email should be send, whether it must be forwarded to
an antivirus/spam server or not. Now, if the email is
forwarded to the cleaning server, those cleaning
servers also are running sendmail which also does the
same thing (querry the mysql database, using the third
column which contains account information for it to
know the final destination, because we have several
smtp/pop servers for various domains.

I have already successfully implemented an
all-in-one(pop/imap/smtp/antivirus/spam) qmail-ldap
setup but I admit, that server is way less complicated
than the setup we have in the new company I'm working
for. The systems are running on Solaris and BSDI
platform and we are looking forward to migrating them
into newer, powerful intel. Now, for the most
significant part, have you already come up with the
same setup as I described above, probably have patched
qmail-ldap's smtp to process emails and querry the
ldap directory to know which smtp host it must forward
the emails? How about running a proxy pop servers
using qmail?. In our setup, clients are downloading
their mails with via pop through "Pop Proxy", the name
of the application I think...
The actual pop3 servers are running "Post.Office3.5.3"
which we also are thinking of migrating to another
application. Other admin also complained that they're
having a hard time finding out how to extract user
accounts from the Post.Office database because of lack
of documentation and support. The software is way too
old (1998). Do you happen to use one of this systems
before?

Do you recommend the built-in qmail-pop3d or some
other pop3 servers? (which one?) The postfix-qmail
debate is also a minor issue here. other admins do
prefer postfix. Can you give me an idea of dealing
with this issue? The old email format of our customers
are in mailbox. It is possible to migrate it to
maildir format, right? Lastly, we are planning to
improve our email service by increasing the mailbox
storage quota of each customer. Do you have any idea
how does gmail or yahoo provide such huge email space
(2gb) for free? Do they use a very high tech
compression program or are they just having a lot of
money to buy so many hard drives?

Thanks for the time!
-jay