Dear Dhammika,

Before you install qmail-ldap, you have to make sure that your ldap server
is ready to use with qmail -ldap. Have you included the qmail.schema into
your /dir/to/ldap/slapd.conf? If I ldapsearch my ldap server I get

ldapserver:~ # ldapsearch -x uid=sato
# extended LDIF
#
# LDAPv3
# base <> with scope sub
# filter: uid=sato
# requesting: ALL
#

# sato, Users, domain.ind
dn: uid=sato,ou=Users,dc=domain,dc=ind
~
objectClass: qmailUser
uid: sato
mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
accountStatus: active
mailHost: mail.domain.co.id
deliveryMode: noforward
mailMessageStore: /var/qmail/maildirs/sato.br/
###
Please note that ldap domain doesn't have to be the same as your mail server
is. The things that matter are objectClass qmailUser, attribute mail,
accountStatus, mailHost, deliveryMode, and mailMessageStore.

I did follow tutorial from qmail-ldap.org, but I instead of create vmail
user by editing /etc/passwd, I just add it using
 # useradd vmail
and change vmail's shell into /bin/sh in /etc/passwd. This way I can run the
dirmaker script to create user's maildirs in /var/qmail/maildirs. Don't
forget to include vmail's uid and gid into
/var/qmail/control/{ldapuid,ldapgid}. You alse need to include in your
control directory the files
   me (put your mail's FQDN here; e.g, mail.yourDomain.com)
   ldaplogin (e.g, cn=Manager,dc=yourldapDomain,dc=com)
   ldapserver (you can put your ldap server's ip address here)
   dirmaker (e.g, /var/qmail/bin/dirmaker.sh)
   ldapbasedn (e.g, ou=Users,dc=yourldapDomain,dc=com)

Here is my /var/qmail/bin/dirmaker.sh
 #!/bin/sh
/bin/mkdir -m 700 -p $1/Maildir
/bin/mkdir -m 700 -p $1/Maildir/new
/bin/mkdir -m 700 -p $1/Maildir/cur
/bin/mkdir -m 700 -p $1/Maildir/tmp

The problem I had with qmail-ldap.org tutorial was I couldn't create user's
Maildirs automatically. Hence, when  sent email using telnet, there was no
destination for the email. That's why I suggest you to create vmail with
useradd command tool. Hope this can help.

Best regards,

sato