Russell Nelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Unfortunately for the legitimate users, dialup users have proven
> themselves untrustworthy, because they are at the moment of connection
> anonymous.  How can they generate the necessary trust?  Well, for one,
> by having a DNS record which identifies them as trustworthy.  Their ISP
> can issue them a address from a pool which is trusted, once they have
> proven their trust.  Or vice-versa, a new or trial user would be given
> an address in a pool which is not trusted.

There's a problem with this method of going at things.  The problem is
that people really don't have a clear idea of which pools at an ISP are
trusted and which aren't, so they just block everything that looks like a
dialup to them.  The result is that there is absolutely no incentive for
an ISP to go to the work of setting up two separate pools, since the
people blocking spam would just block them both anyway.

What I'd like people to do is think.  The response I seem to get a lot is
"it's too much work to think and track and figure out how ISPs are doing
things, so I'll just not think, since it works 99% of the time anyway."
And you know, I really can't argue with that.  Except to say that there's
a limit to how far I'm personally willing to go in "fighting spam" and if
the time comes that people want me to jump through more hoops than I'm
willing to get mail delivered to them, I just won't.  And then I suppose
I'll find out whether those people will miss my contributions to the
Internet more than I'll miss theirs.

And with that, I'll stop responding to this thread, as I'm sure this is
annoying lots of people by now.

--
Russ Allbery ([EMAIL PROTECTED])         <URL:http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>