It turns out what we really needed to do was attach
a "Return-Path: <email address>" line to each email
that was being relayed via a C class address.

I added a line to /etc/tcp.smtp and ran tcprules
(we are using tcpserver for the smtp server)
The line consisted of:

IP address:allow,RELAYCLIENT="@fixup"

Then added a line to virtualdomains:
fixup:fixup

Then added a .qmail-fixup-default file in /var/qmail/alias
containing the line:
|/var/qmail/bin/fixup-return-path | /var/qmail/bin/qmail-inject

We wrote a program fixup-return-path that adds a

The result is: all emails relayed from the C class IP
in /etc/tcp.smtp has a local email address as the Return-Path:
header. If any mail bounces, it is delivered to a local email
address on the relay machine.

Thanks for the help

Ken Jones
Inter7 Internet Technologies, Inc.