On Fri, Feb 05, 1999 at 08:28:43AM +0000, Chris Green wrote:

> 1 - The default installation directory is /var/qmail, do most
>     installations actually use this?  If you do use this do you add
>     /var/qmail/bin to the qmail administrator's (usually root) path
>     or what?  After install unless you do something manually none of
>     the executables are accessible and nor are the man pages.

In bash, the default shell for a linux system,

export PATH=${PATH}:/var/qmail/bin
export MANPATH=${MANPATH}:/var/qmail/man

> 2 - Related to the above (and I know there's a checkpasswd list)
>     checkpasswd has / as its default installation root.

Really?  my conf-home says /usr/local.  I don't remember if I
changed it or not...

>     Two things - firstly 'maildirmake' won't work unless you've
>     previously added to your path as I've asked about above.

I agree.  You generally cannot run a program that isn't in your
path, or referenced explicitly.

>     Secondly
>     what's this bit about "creating a maildir in the new-user template
>     directory"?  A bit more help would be welcome here.

man adduser
/skel

> As a general comment, since qmail is often suggested as the easiest to
> install mail system for Linux/Unix it will often be chosen by
> relatively inexperienced newcomers to Linux.  Thus the rather basic
> things like paths and so on need to be spelt out a bit better I think.

If I understand you correctly, you missed:

1) that qmail binaries aren't installed in /usr/local/bin, which is
   generally already in a user's PATH.
   Did you know about PATH?

2) that qmail's man pages aren't installed in /usr/man or /usr/local/man,
   which have a very strong potential of being in the default MANPATH.
   Did you know about MANPATH?

3) what was meant by a new-user template directory.

--
John White
[EMAIL PROTECTED]