Can someone explain to me why it would be bad to include
   multiple sets of binaries with differeint UID/GID combos,
   and install one based on which UIDs/GIDs the system had
   open?  With, say, 5 sets of UIDs/GIDs, one could get fairly
   decent coverage of users.

1) What if you have partial overlap with the existing UIDs GIDs?
2) What if the qmail users/groups are already added---except qmaill is
called lqmail?

BTWY, I have a var-qmail-create package at

ftp://moni.msci.memphis.edu/pub/qmail/var-qmail

which can help you in creating a binary package (I think the procedure
of creating the args for idedit is well portable).

Mate