- "Bryan White" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

| [...] When it fails the message is redirected to another machine
| that is running sendmail and from there picked up via POP3.  At this
| end the "To:" header will sometimes be correct, somtimes be blank,
| and sometimes be missing.  At this point the "Delivered-To:" header
| does contain the desired address but I am not seeing this in
| ezinesub.

Because the Delivered-To: line is not presented on stdin to programs.
You'll find it in $DTLINE instead.  RTFM qmail-command(8).

| Why don't I always get a "To:" header?

qmail doesn't add a To: header field if there isn't one there already.
(Exception: qmail-inject adds "Cc: recipient list not shown: ;" if
there is neither a To: field or a Cc: field, but you are not invoking
qmail-inject, either directly or indirectly.)

| I am not always clear on what headers are getting added where but
| obviously qmail knows the recipient address.  Is there an
| alternative way of getting this info like an environment variable?

forwarding mail.

The envelope recipient is in $RECIPIENT, and its components can be
found in other environment variables.  RTFM qmail-command(8).

- Harald