(Okay, I'm a newbie to this stuff, so be patient with me, and I'll make a
real contribution yet! =).

 I was having trouble with pop3d on sendmail occasionally failing to remove
lock files from  /usr/tmp/.pop/ (resulting in a user not being able to log
in to the pop server (usually my boss )^&  :).  Some people on one of the
Linux newsgroups recommended upgrading to Qmail.  This I've done, and now
enjoy all the wonderful benefits of being a Qmail user, except that the lock
file problem still exists.

Qmail has a qmail-pop3d file, but the documentation doesn't tell me any way
of configuring it with out using Maildir (which looks like a real hassle).
Is there an way to set up the qmail-pop3d with my /var/spool/mail/$USER
configuration?  Also, does anyone know if this will solve my lock file
problem?

(If I sound like a complete buffoon in this aria, it's because I am.  That's
why I need help. =)  If anyone can help me with this, I would be exceedingly
grateful!

Sincerely,

-Carlos