Thanks Dave,

That solved it. We're running Linux kernel 3.0.26, and I'm sure it is protected
from SYN attacks.

Here is a summary of what happened.

- port 25 was not responding because /var was full.
- I removed most of the old logs and rebooted.
- port 25 came back, but only for a few minutes.
- noticed the possible SYN flood in log/messages

- deleted the current messages and maillog logs as Dave suggested below and teh SYN
messages (and presumably the attacks? - for some reason port 25 was full up)
stopped and port 25 came back.

thanks to those who responded. - eric