Hello Mate.

On Mon, 22 Feb 1999 22:25:41 -0600, Mate Wierdl wrote:

>Are not you the reply-to whiz?

Sorry; I'm not a native English speaker. Could you please rephrase your
sentance?

>Now you leave us with the only possibility
>of sending the answer to this FAQ to the list

Ermm.. what FAQ? How do you send the answer to the FAQ ??
Is there a new version of FAQ. I've read the one that comes
with qmail 1.03 and it doesn't say anything about this kind of
mail filtering.

>(or copy your mailaddress to
>the To: field---very tiring)

Just reply to the mailing list, I'm subscribed :).

>In any case, for a general rewriting, you will find the mess822 package by
>qmail's author helpful.
>
>If you want to do an adhoc rewriting, you can use reformail of maildrop, but

Thanks I'll have a look at mess822 :).

>first read the man pages for dot-qmail and qmail-command to understand why
>your .qmail-ppp-default line does what it does and not what you want.

I did RTFM (Read This Fine Material) :)
>From "man 8 qmail-command":

<*snip*>
qmail-local  will,  upon  your request, feed each incoming
mail message through a program of your choice.

When a mail message arrives, qmail-local runs sh  -c  com-
mand  in your home directory.  It makes the message avail-
able on command's standard input.

WARNING: The mail  message  does  not  begin  with  qmail-
local's usual Return-Path and Delivered-To lines.

Note  that  qmail-local  uses the same file descriptor for
every delivery in your .qmail file, so it is not safe  for
command  to  fork  a  child  that reads the message in the
background while the parent exits.
<*snip*>

It says I get a message on stdin, but it doesn't say what
to do with it after processing; I've expected that I must
process it and write it out on stdout. But that doesn't
seem to be the case.
I think it only scans the .qmail-ppp-default and it
runs my filter with a message on stdout and it writes the
original message to the ./pppdir/.
Is there any nice way how to make qmail write the modified
message to the ./pppdir/ ?
How should I now make qmail deliver what my program holds
in memory to the ~alias/pppdit/new. Will I have to do the
delivery myself ??

best regards,
Rok Papez,
Student at Faculty of Computer and Information Science,
University of Ljubljana, Slovenia.