qmail Digest 16 Feb 1999 11:00:01 -0000 Issue 553

Topics (messages 21994 through 22032):

qmail Co-existence Question
        21994 by: Patrick Durusau <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        21995 by: Peter van Dijk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Can you limit size of outgoing messages?
        21996 by: "Dr. Andreas Wehler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        21997 by: Anand Buddhdev <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        21998 by: "Dr. Andreas Wehler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        22004 by: "Dr. Andreas Wehler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        22005 by: Eric Dahnke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        22006 by: Stefan Paletta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        22031 by: "Dr. Andreas Wehler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Deny Spam Mail
        21999 by: "Todd Reese" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        22002 by: Russell Nelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

On demand?
        22000 by: Florent Guillaume <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        22003 by: Peter van Dijk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Permissions - what does qmail demand?
        22001 by: Mate Wierdl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Licensing on "libdjb"
        22007 by: "Len Budney" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

RELAYCLIENT and inetd
        22008 by: Eric Dahnke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        22010 by: Russell Nelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        22011 by: Harald Hanche-Olsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        22012 by: Stefan Paletta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Maildir/cur ???
        22009 by: Paul Farber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        22013 by: Gerry Boudreaux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        22014 by: Chris Johnson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        22015 by: Jay Soffian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        22020 by: Eric Dahnke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        22022 by: Peter van Dijk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

this user has no $HOME/Maildir
        22016 by: "Tony D'Andrade" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        22018 by: Glenn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

ADV: ALASKAN TRAVEL
        22017 by: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

POP-Before-SMTP Solution
        22019 by: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        22023 by: Peter van Dijk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

The ppiamdn annoyance
        22021 by: "D. J. Bernstein" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        22025 by: Tim Pierce <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        22026 by: Vince Vielhaber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Supervise/Cyclog
        22024 by: Claudio Neves <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        22032 by: Harald Hanche-Olsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Qmail, Majordomo, and virtual domains
        22027 by: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John R. Levine)

Problem: Qmail and Eudora 4.0
        22028 by: Dileep Agrawal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        22029 by: "Sam" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        22030 by: Vern Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To bug my human owner, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To post to the list, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

The Lyris installation notes that:

********

3) Append the following line to the /var/qmail/control/smtproutes --
changing "lyris.shelby.com" to be
whatever the alias was you defined in your DNS entry above. For example:

lyris.shelby.com:[127.0.0.1]:26

********

(I have obtained the necessary A record in the DNS tables and followed
other installation steps.)

Unfortunately my installation of qmail does not have an smtproutes file
in /var/qmail/control nor do I know the equivalent (if any) under
Solaris.

I contacted Lyris with this question and they replied that they relied
upon the qmail discussion group for the co-existence part of the
instructions.

(The purpose of all this is to have qmail acting as the mail mail
program on my Unix box and allow Lyris to obtain mail for the alias also
on port 26. I avoid having to use another IP number and it will be
cleaner when I set it up on my production server.)

Tips or suggestions?

Many thanks!

Patrick

--
Patrick Durusau
Information Technology Services

On Mon, Feb 15, 1999 at 07:53:06AM -0500, Patrick Durusau wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I have installed Qmail (1.03) on a Solaris 2.5.1 Sparc box in
> anticipation of adding the Lyris mailing list software to the server.
> The Lyris installation notes that:
>
> ********
>
> 3) Append the following line to the /var/qmail/control/smtproutes --
> changing "lyris.shelby.com" to be
> whatever the alias was you defined in your DNS entry above. For example:
>
> lyris.shelby.com:[127.0.0.1]:26
>
> ********
>
> (I have obtained the necessary A record in the DNS tables and followed
> other installation steps.)
>
> Unfortunately my installation of qmail does not have an smtproutes file
> in /var/qmail/control nor do I know the equivalent (if any) under
> Solaris.

Just create /var/qmail/control/smtproutes then. A default installation does not have
it. Solaris or not doesn't make any difference.

Greetz, Peter.
--
.| Peter van Dijk           | <mo|VERWEG> stoned worden of coden
.| [EMAIL PROTECTED]  | <mo|VERWEG> dat is de levensvraag
                            | <mo|VERWEG> coden of stoned worden
                            | <mo|VERWEG> stonend worden En coden
                            | <mo|VERWEG> hmm
                            | <mo|VERWEG> dan maar stoned worden en slashdot lezen:)

Hello.

 After having studied hopefully most of the FAQs I didn't find a
hint of how to reject a message that is larger than a given size
of, say, 2MB.  I'd like to enforce our local policies.  Could you
help me, please?  Thank you,

   Andreas Wehler

--
CAD/CAM straessle GmbH    Tel.: (+49)  211 - 52740 - 228
Dr.-Ing. Andreas Wehler   Fax.: (+49)  211 - 52740 - 280

On Mon, Feb 15, 1999 at 02:15:41PM +0100, Dr. Andreas Wehler wrote:

> Hello.
>
>  After having studied hopefully most of the FAQs I didn't find a
> hint of how to reject a message that is larger than a given size
> of, say, 2MB.  I'd like to enforce our local policies.  Could you
> help me, please?  Thank you,

Do "man qmail-smtpd" and search for "databytes".

--
Anand
System Administrator

Anand Buddhdev wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 15, 1999 at 02:15:41PM +0100, Dr. Andreas Wehler wrote:
>
> > Hello.
> >
> >  After having studied hopefully most of the FAQs I didn't find a
> > hint of how to reject a message that is larger than a given size
> > of, say, 2MB.  I'd like to enforce our local policies.  Could you
> > help me, please?  Thank you,
>
> Do "man qmail-smtpd" and search for "databytes".
>
> --
> Anand
> System Administrator
> Africa Online Ltd
> http://www.anand.org

 Oh, this is new since 1.02, and I still have 1.01-5.  So it's
upgrade time.  1.03 is current.  Thank you very much.

   Andreas Wehler

--
CAD/CAM straessle GmbH    Tel.: (+49)  211 - 52740 - 228
Dr.-Ing. Andreas Wehler   Fax.: (+49)  211 - 52740 - 280
                          http://www.cc-straessle.com

Now I've set up qmail-1.02-1 from debian with a limit of databytes
= 1MB.  A test shows that a message larger than this will not be
sent.  BUT, nor will a message be received larger than this size.

  So, can sned and receive be handled separately?

 Furthermore, the bounced message will go back the whole length to
the sender, couldn't it be cut to the error message and perhaps
the first few lines?

 Thanks.

    Andreas Wehler

--
CAD/CAM straessle GmbH    Tel.: (+49)  211 - 52740 - 228
Dr.-Ing. Andreas Wehler   Fax.: (+49)  211 - 52740 - 280
                          http://www.cc-straessle.com

Are you all sure that putting a limit in databytes limits the size of an
outgoing msg?

I'm not positive, but thought the only way to limit the size of outgoing
msgs was with some tcpserver tool, or something like that.

- eric

Dr. Andreas Wehler wrote/schrieb/scribsit:
>   So, can sned and receive be handled separately?

Have tcpserver or tcpd set the DATABYTES environment variable
for local clients instead of carrying it in /var/qmail/control/databytes.

>  Furthermore, the bounced message will go back the whole length to
> the sender, couldn't it be cut to the error message and perhaps
> the first few lines?

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] [1]

Stefan
[1] gotta love ezmlm...

Stefan Paletta wrote:

> Dr. Andreas Wehler wrote/schrieb/scribsit:
> >   So, can sned and receive be handled separately?
>
> Have tcpserver or tcpd set the DATABYTES environment variable
> for local clients instead of carrying it in /var/qmail/control/databytes.

 Ahhh, thanks for this tip!

> >  Furthermore, the bounced message will go back the whole length to
> > the sender, couldn't it be cut to the error message and perhaps
> > the first few lines?

 Hmm.  Tis is pushed onto my stack, perhaps I'll go into
the qmail sources therefore.

 Thanks.

   Andreas Wehler

--
CAD/CAM straessle GmbH    Tel.: (+49)  211 - 52740 - 228
Dr.-Ing. Andreas Wehler   Fax.: (+49)  211 - 52740 - 280
                          http://www.cc-straessle.com

Is there a way to set qmail to refuse mail without proper reverse DNS
Lookup?

TIA,

Todd Reese
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Todd Reese writes:
 > Is there a way to set qmail to refuse mail without proper reverse DNS
 > Lookup?

No, but you can run Obtuse SMTPD instead of qmail-smtpd, and it has
that capability.

--
-russ nelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  http://crynwr.com/~nelson

> I belive richard means that the secondary mx will sit there uselessly
> trying to deliver to the nonexistant primary mx.
>
> Which is why the secondary needs to be modified only to deliver when
> primary is up.

But isn't it possible to have the secondary MX be a near-clone of the
primary, and do the delivery itself to the clients instead of sending
the mails back to the primary when it comes back up ?  This implies
of course adequate configuration.

Is it unadvisable ?  If so why ?  I'm asking because I about to install
such a setup here.

Florent Guillaume

On Mon, Feb 15, 1999 at 03:22:02PM +0100, Florent Guillaume wrote:
> > I belive richard means that the secondary mx will sit there uselessly
> > trying to deliver to the nonexistant primary mx.
> >
> > Which is why the secondary needs to be modified only to deliver when
> > primary is up.
>
> But isn't it possible to have the secondary MX be a near-clone of the
> primary, and do the delivery itself to the clients instead of sending
> the mails back to the primary when it comes back up ?  This implies
> of course adequate configuration.

Definitely. But, depending on your network, you might as well have your secondary on
the same MX preference. If it's farther away netwise, keep it at a lower preference.

> Is it unadvisable ?  If so why ?  I'm asking because I about to install
> such a setup here.

No it would be very good, but be sure to keep them _in_sync_. I've had _way_ too much
trouble sending mail to ISPs where configurations like this were totally fucked up.

So.. go ahead, but _be_ _careful_.

Greetz, Peter.
--

On Mon, Feb 15, 1999 at 08:41:51AM +0000, Chris Green wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 14, 1999 at 11:59:22PM +0100, Harald Hanche-Olsen wrote:
> > | However I have one final little question (final - ha, ha!), what
> > | permissions does qmail require on users' home directories?
> >
> > You must be able to stat() the home dir without any special
> > privileges.  This means all directories above the home must be
> > executably by anyone (well, you can get away with less, actually).
> > And the user must own his home directory and should have rwx
> > privileges (again, you can sometimes get away with a bit less).  The
> > home directory must not be world writable, or (depending on how qmail
> > was configured during compilation) group writable.

This is not a correct advice, I think: just recompile qmail with changing
conf-patrn to 000, and you are in business.

--
---
Mate Wierdl | Dept. of Math. Sciences | University of Memphis

Howdy, folks,

A while ago there was a thread about making a "libdjb" containing
nuggets like stralloc, substdio, etc.. Has anyone taken steps to
contribute documentation or anything else to such a package? I'd
certainly like to help.

On the same note, though, does anyone know Dan's position on derived
works? On his website, he provides a sort of "I can't stop you from
tinkering" license, but doesn't take a stand, for example, on people
producing commercial software using stralloc.

Has Dan stated a position on this? If not, then Dan, what is your
position on it? Your code is most edifying, but there is an arguable
line between "getting edified" and "stealing code". I certainly don't
want to cross that line.

Thanks for any info,
Len.

--
78. Make no Comparisons and if any of the Company be Commended for any
brave act or Vertue, commend not another for the Same.

Hello list friends,

First, there is no way set RELAYCLIENT (via inetd, tcpserver, or some
patch) based on domain name rather than IP, correct? (I realize it would
be weak)

Second, with inetd it is not possible to set RELAYCLIENT with a wildcard
* (24.232.12.*), but with tcpserver yes, correct?

Regards - eric

Eric Dahnke writes:
 > Hello list friends,
 >
 > First, there is no way set RELAYCLIENT (via inetd, tcpserver, or some
 > patch) based on domain name rather than IP, correct? (I realize it would
 > be weak)

There's a patch on www.qmail.org.  Search for Chuck Foster.  Yes, it
is weaker than relying on an IP address; fortunately most spammers do
not have access to DNS servers.  This is the algorithm that PostFix
uses.

 > Second, with inetd it is not possible to set RELAYCLIENT with a wildcard
 > * (24.232.12.*), but with tcpserver yes, correct?

Well, you *can* with inetd, but tcpserver performs better.

--
-russ nelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  http://crynwr.com/~nelson

- Eric Dahnke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

| First, there is no way set RELAYCLIENT (via inetd, tcpserver, or
| some patch) based on domain name rather than IP, correct? (I realize
| it would be weak)

tcpserver won't do it out of the box, but it's almost trivial to do
with a little wrapper.  Just have tcpserver run a program which looks
up TCPREMOTEHOST in a database, and sets RELAYCLIENT accordingly
before running the real qmail-smtpd.  If you run tcpserver with the -p
(paranoid) flag, it is perhaps not totally trivial to break either -
but then, I am no expert on DNS security.  Maybe someone will comment?

(Sorry I can't answer inetd questions.)

- Harald

Eric Dahnke wrote/schrieb/scribsit:

> First, there is no way set RELAYCLIENT (via inetd, tcpserver, or some
> patch) based on domain name rather than IP, correct?

There is a patch to tcpserver to make it act on the remote hostname.

But you can of course wrap it in sth. like:
#!/bin/sh
case "$TCPREMOTEHOST" in
        *.domain.com)
                export RELAYCLIENT=""
        ;;
esac
exec /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd
#end

> Second, with inetd it is not possible to set RELAYCLIENT with a wildcard
> * (24.232.12.*), but with tcpserver yes, correct?

According to hosts_access.5 it is possible to use both:
"tcp-env: 10.0.0.: sentenv=RELAYCLIENT"
and
"tcp-env: 10.0.0.0/255.255.255.0: setenv=RELAYCLIENT".

Stefan

Hello all,

What is the meaning of the Maildir/cur directory?  I have a user with 300
messages and they are not in the Maildir/new, they are in Maildir/cur.

What puts them into that dir?  He checks his mail with Netscape
Communicator 4.x and and say's he download then every time he checks the
mail.

Thanks.

Paul D. Farber II
Farber Technology
717-628-5303
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Umm,

Those are messages that the user has downloaded but not deleted from the
server.

Gerry

On Mon, Feb 15, 1999 at 11:55:57AM -0500, Paul Farber wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> What is the meaning of the Maildir/cur directory?  I have a user with 300
> messages and they are not in the Maildir/new, they are in Maildir/cur.
>
> What puts them into that dir?  He checks his mail with Netscape
> Communicator 4.x and and say's he download then every time he checks the
> mail.

>From man maildir:

       Files in cur are just like files in new.  The big  differ-
       ence  is  that  files  in cur are no longer new mail: they
       have been seen by the user's mail-reading program.

Your user has his client set to leave messages on the server, rather than
delete them.

Chris

 "Chris" == Chris Johnson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Chris> On Mon, Feb 15, 1999 at 11:55:57AM -0500, Paul Farber wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> What is the meaning of the Maildir/cur directory?  I have a user
>> with 300 messages and they are not in the Maildir/new, they are in
>> Maildir/cur.
>>
>> What puts them into that dir?  He checks his mail with Netscape
>> Communicator 4.x and and say's he download then every time he
>> checks the mail.

Chris> From man maildir:

       Files in cur are just like files in new.  The big  differ-
       ence  is  that  files  in cur are no longer new mail: they
       have been seen by the user's mail-reading program.

Actually, I believe that qmail-pop3d moves whatever messages are in
new when at the time qmail-pop3d is started to cur once qmail-pop3d
receives a quit command from the client, regardless of whether or not
the client has downloaded the messages:

On mail server:

root@mail:/var/MailDirs/testuser/ # find
.
./tmp
./new
./new/919101259.11212.mail.cimedia.com
./new/919101260.11231.mail.cimedia.com
./new/919101260.11240.mail.cimedia.com
./new/919101261.11262.mail.cimedia.com
./new/919101261.11270.mail.cimedia.com
./new/919101262.11278.mail.cimedia.com
./cur

>From a client:

redshift:~> telnet mail 110
Trying 172.16.0.2...
Connected to mail.cimedia.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
+OK <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
user testuser
+OK
pass testuser
+OK
quit
+OK
Connection closed by foreign host.
redshift:~>

Even though the client didn't actually see the messages, back on mail server:

root@mail:/var/MailDirs/testuser/ # find
.
./tmp
./new
./cur
./cur/919101259.11212.mail.cimedia.com:2,
./cur/919101260.11231.mail.cimedia.com:2,
./cur/919101260.11240.mail.cimedia.com:2,
./cur/919101261.11262.mail.cimedia.com:2,
./cur/919101261.11270.mail.cimedia.com:2,
./cur/919101262.11278.mail.cimedia.com:2,

I'm not sure I like this behavior. I'm thinking about patching
qmail-pop3d so that it only moves messages that the user has
RETR'ieved. Either that or at least add a flag to the Info field of
the filename. We'd like to delete messages on the mailserver that are
older than X that we know the client has retrieved and we don't really
know for sure which those message are. Yes, we could make assumptions
about the behavior of pop cients, but I'd rather not do that.

j.
--
Jay Soffian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>                       UNIX Systems Administrator
404.572.1941                                             Cox Interactive Media

And if the user then switches his mail client to "not leave msgs on server" they
are removed from cur, no?

- eric

On Mon, Feb 15, 1999 at 07:18:02PM -0300, Eric Dahnke wrote:
> And if the user then switches his mail client to "not leave msgs on server" they
> are removed from cur, no?

Ofcourse.

Greetz, Peter.
--
.| Peter van Dijk           | <mo|VERWEG> stoned worden of coden
.| [EMAIL PROTECTED]  | <mo|VERWEG> dat is de levensvraag
                            | <mo|VERWEG> coden of stoned worden
                            | <mo|VERWEG> stonend worden En coden
                            | <mo|VERWEG> hmm
                            | <mo|VERWEG> dan maar stoned worden en slashdot lezen:)

Hi i set up qmail and it works fine except for my users who login through
pop server.  When they try to login they get the message:

"The mail server responded:
 this user has no $HOME/Maildir
 Please enter a new password"

I read the man page on "Maildir".  My question is how do i set up a
maildir if it is not set up when i add a new user?  If i have to manually
set up a "Maildir" and its subdirectories how do i get the messages in the
current $HOME/Mailbox file exported into the "Maildir" ?  Also what
permissions do i set for the "Maildir" and its subdir's ?

===
Gone to check FAQ.
===

Ok i checked the FAQ and i installed ucspi-tcp and checkpassword. I am no
longer getting the above mentioned error message. Also when i
ran the tests from the command line it worked fine.  However now i try to
check the mail through Netcape mail client and i get the following
message:

"The mail server responded:
 authorization failed
 Please enter a new password."

I am 100% sure i entered the right password.

any help would be appreciated.
thanks in advance

td

Your pop username is case sensitive.  If the account is named
TonyD, then tonyd@pop will not work.  It must be TonyD@pop

HTH,
Glenn
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

On Mon, 15 Feb 1999, Tony D'Andrade wrote:

> Hi i set up qmail and it works fine except for my users who login through
> pop server.  When they try to login they get the message:
>
> "The mail server responded:
>  this user has no $HOME/Maildir
>  Please enter a new password"
>
> I read the man page on "Maildir".  My question is how do i set up a
> maildir if it is not set up when i add a new user?  If i have to manually
> set up a "Maildir" and its subdirectories how do i get the messages in the
> current $HOME/Mailbox file exported into the "Maildir" ?  Also what
> permissions do i set for the "Maildir" and its subdir's ?
>
> ===
> Gone to check FAQ.
> ===
>
> Ok i checked the FAQ and i installed ucspi-tcp and checkpassword. I am no
> longer getting the above mentioned error message. Also when i
> ran the tests from the command line it worked fine.  However now i try to
> check the mail through Netcape mail client and i get the following
> message:
>
> "The mail server responded:
>  authorization failed
>  Please enter a new password."
>
> I am 100% sure i entered the right password.
>
> any help would be appreciated.
> thanks in advance
>
> td

ALASKA MAGAZINE in their July 98 issue says "The best source of
information on snowmachining is Alaska's Snowmachiners'
Directory.  Published once a year, this glossy magazine is loaded
with information vital to planning a winter vacation in Alaska"

Alaska's Snowmachiners' Directory is the ultimate travel guide
for snowmobiling in Alaska.  Alaska's Snowmachiners' Directory is
the most comprehensive guide ever published covering the State of
Alaska, with regards to snowmobiling.  It is a full color, glossy
publication filled with over 100 pages of information for anyone
wanting to travel or ever thought of traveling to Alaska in the
winter time.

Inside you will find Directories for; Lodges, Snowmobile Tour
Companies, Snowmobile Rentals, Motorhome Rentals, Snowmobile
Clubs, Trail Systems, Events unique to Alaska along with phone
numbers and websites.  You can order yours for only $5.95 + S/H.
 For more info and to order, check us out at
http://www.mustgohere.com/aksnowmachiner

Reply with remove to be removed.
MediaWeb AA,MI48103 7346698750

I am trying to figure out the best soulution for remote relaying.  I have
already looked at the packages on the qmail web site.

A few questions:

Can a cdb file be rebuilt multiple times per minute without any problems?
What about if the cdb file is on a nfs filesystem?

My original thought for handling this would be to simple have my
checkpassword 'touch' a file (with remote ip addr as name), and then
either modify tcpserver to check if the file exists to allow access, or
build a cdb from all the files in the directory.  Anyone have any
thoughts?

James

On Mon, Feb 15, 1999 at 04:05:09PM -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I am trying to figure out the best soulution for remote relaying.  I have
> already looked at the packages on the qmail web site.
>
> A few questions:
>
> Can a cdb file be rebuilt multiple times per minute without any problems?

Sure. Just do some measurements of the load that causes. Should be minimal.

> What about if the cdb file is on a nfs filesystem?

I think it's atomic, not completely sure though.

> My original thought for handling this would be to simple have my
> checkpassword 'touch' a file (with remote ip addr as name), and then
> either modify tcpserver to check if the file exists to allow access, or
> build a cdb from all the files in the directory.  Anyone have any
> thoughts?

Well I've been thinking about that too and my ideas were -exactly- the same. Using a
cdb will be faster, but you should see for yourself if that weighs up to the loss of
creating a cdb file everytime.

[yes, I -know- I'm sounding very vague :)]

Greetz, Peter.
--
.| Peter van Dijk           | <mo|VERWEG> stoned worden of coden
.| [EMAIL PROTECTED]  | <mo|VERWEG> dat is de levensvraag
                            | <mo|VERWEG> coden of stoned worden
                            | <mo|VERWEG> stonend worden En coden
                            | <mo|VERWEG> hmm
                            | <mo|VERWEG> dan maar stoned worden en slashdot lezen:)

These 43 useless messages from ppiamdn illustrate that unsolicited mail
doesn't have to be commercial to be annoying. Note that majordomo's
filters wouldn't have caught the messages.

Anyway, I've prohibited messages from that address to the mailing list.
Not secure, of course, but we'll see what happens.

After the first mailbomb I asked [EMAIL PROTECTED] to check his
logs, disable the ppiamdn account if it was in fact sending messages to
[EMAIL PROTECTED], and tell me ppiamdn's name and address. I didn't
hear back. Meanwhile, messages to [EMAIL PROTECTED] are bouncing.

---Dan

On Mon, Feb 15, 1999 at 11:19:13PM -0000, D. J. Bernstein wrote:
> These 43 useless messages from ppiamdn illustrate that unsolicited mail
> doesn't have to be commercial to be annoying. Note that majordomo's
> filters wouldn't have caught the messages.

Gosh, it doesn't look like ezmlm did, either.

--
Regards,
Tim Pierce

On 16-Feb-99 Tim Pierce wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 15, 1999 at 11:19:13PM -0000, D. J. Bernstein wrote:
>> These 43 useless messages from ppiamdn illustrate that unsolicited mail
>> doesn't have to be commercial to be annoying. Note that majordomo's
>> filters wouldn't have caught the messages.
>
> Gosh, it doesn't look like ezmlm did, either.

IIRC, ezmlm isn't designed to.  This is the message I recall seeing from
the welcome message:

DO NOT SEND ADMINISTRATIVE REQUESTS TO THE MAILING LIST!
If you do, I won't see them, and subscribers will yell at you.

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH   email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]   flame-mail: /dev/null
       # include <std/disclaimers.h>                   TEAM-OS2

Hello,

I know this was discussed here already, but I'm getting trouble when giving
svc -h /var/run/qmail . Here is what I've put on my /etc/rc.d/rc.local:

csh -cf '/usr/local/bin/supervise /var/run/qmail /var/qmail/rc &'

And I have the following on /var/qmail/rc :

exec env - PATH="/var/qmail/bin:$PATH" \
qmail-start ./Maildir/ /usr/local/bin/accustamp \
| /usr/local/bin/setuser qmaill /usr/local/bin/cyclog -s 10000000 -n 10 \
/var/log/qmail

When I give svc -h /var/run/qmail, I got the famous message "alert: cannot
start: qmail-send is already running" everytime on the logs. After
searching the list, I saw this could be caused when running qmail.start on
background (putting a '&' in /var/qmail/rc), but it's not the case. Can
someone give me some help ?!?!

Thanks in advance,

Claudio Neves

- Claudio Neves <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

| Hello,
|
| I know this was discussed here already, but I'm getting trouble when giving
| svc -h /var/run/qmail . Here is what I've put on my /etc/rc.d/rc.local:
|
| csh -cf '/usr/local/bin/supervise /var/run/qmail /var/qmail/rc &'
|
| And I have the following on /var/qmail/rc :
|
| exec env - PATH="/var/qmail/bin:$PATH" \
| qmail-start ./Maildir/ /usr/local/bin/accustamp \
| | /usr/local/bin/setuser qmaill /usr/local/bin/cyclog -s 10000000 -n 10 \
| /var/log/qmail

Well I think this is fundamentally flawed:  When sh runs a pipeline,
it forks a subprocess for each component.  Adding exec does not change
this fact, so when sh runs ``exec foo | bar'' then the it forks to
shells; first subshell runs exec foo, and the other one runs bar (with
an implicit exec).  Thus supervise ends up controlling not qmail-send
in your case, but the waiting shell.

| When I give svc -h /var/run/qmail, I got the famous message "alert:
| cannot start: qmail-send is already running" everytime on the logs.

You just killed the waiting shell, so supervise started a new one.

In order to solve this sort of problem, I created a program I call
pipe.  You could use it to start qmail as follows:  Let /var/qmail/rc
contain

#!/bin/sh
exec pipe qmail-start ./Maildir/ /usr/local/bin/accustamp \
          '|1+2>0' /usr/local/bin/setuser qmaill \
                   /usr/local/bin/cyclog -s 10000000 -n 10 /var/log/qmail

That '|1+2>0' is pipe magic.  It pipes file descriptors 1 and 2 of one
program into file descriptor 0 of the next one.

I put pipe up for grabs at <URL:http://www.math.ntnu.no/~hanche/prog/pipe/>.

- Harald

Jeez, you go away on a trip for a few days, and someone asks one of the
few questions to which you have an answer.

I run qmail 1.03 and majordomo 1.94 on two servers.  One server (this
one) has majordomo lists in its native domain iecc.com and also four
virtual domains, three of which live here (as in, this is the MX for
the domain) and one of which doesn't.  The other server runs lists in
three virtual domains.

The lists are secure, in that unlike typical sendmail setups, knowing
the true name of the outgoing list doesn't let you spoof a message
onto the list. I use VERP to automatically take people off lists when
there are a lot of bounces.  The domains are logically separate, if
you write to [EMAIL PROTECTED] you only get the lists that are
@abuse.net, and you can have lists with the same name in each domain.
(Each domain in fact has a separate bounces list.)  All of the domains
also have other addresses not handled by majordomo.

My approach is different from Russ' in that I use a whole lot of
.qmail files, as many as eight .qmail files per list or 12 if there's
also a digest, but since all of the files are generated mechanically
by a script, they don't cause me any trouble.  The reason there's so
many files is that I have a user majordom that owns all of the
majordomo software and lists, and the lists all have aliases like
majordom-domain-list-out and majordom-domain-list-out-owner-default so
that qmail runs the software as majordom automatically.

If this sounds interesting, let me know and I'll pack up my scripts.
There's a perl script to handle the bounces, and a shell script that
creates the lists and makes the .qmail files.

--
John R. Levine, IECC, POB 727, Trumansburg NY 14886 +1 607 387 6869
[EMAIL PROTECTED], Village Trustee and Sewer Commissioner, http://iecc.com/johnl,

Some of my customers using Eudora 4.0 are having problems using qmail for
relaying (SMTP server).  They get this error message:

SMTP server said:

451 put, E=\r\n at the end of Mether, Mtcp, or Msmtp in sendmail.cf if you
are using Solaris 2.5 (fixed in 2.5). I cannot accept messages with stray
newlines....

It does not happen with Eudora 3.0.  Does Eudora put in stray newlines?  Is
there a fix?

TIA

Dileep Agrawal writes:

> It does not happen with Eudora 3.0.  Does Eudora put in stray newlines?  Is

Yes.  Eudora 4.0 is broken.

> there a fix?

Ask Qualcomm.  There's a patch on www.qmail.org that makes Qmail equally
broken as Eudora, thus letting it tolerate most of Eudora's nonsense.

--
Sam

On Mon, 15 Feb 1999, Dileep Agrawal wrote:

> SMTP server said:
>
> 451 put, E=\r\n at the end of Mether, Mtcp, or Msmtp in sendmail.cf if you
> are using Solaris 2.5 (fixed in 2.5). I cannot accept messages with stray
> newlines....

The mention of sendmail.cf might be a hint that the problem is not with
qmail.  The server giving this response is obviously running sendmail.

(It's not even a sendmail problem for that matter.  It's an Eudora bug.)

> It does not happen with Eudora 3.0.  Does Eudora put in stray newlines?  Is
> there a fix?

I believe there is a fix on the www.eudora.com site.

Cheers,
Vern
 Vern Hart     \ V /| _||   / .` |
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]  \_/ |___|_|_\_|\_|

 10:28pm up 5 day(s), 22:07, 17 users, load average: 0.07, 0.16, 0.17