On 05-Jan-99 06:04:01, Russell Nelson wrote something about "Re: wanted: patch to
reject mail if envelope sender isn't valid domain". I just couldn't help replying to
it, thus:
> Yes (nods to johnl), but I'm trying to convince Dan that it's a good
> idea.  I think the increase in reliability (rejecting mail which you
> *know* cannot accept a bounce message, should one be generated) is
> worth the increase in cost (more code and network traffic to check the DNS).

   And similiarily, I'm also looking at a way of implementing recipient
address DNS check. If I *know* I can't deliver the message, there is not
point in accepting it in the first place. This will also help in the case
where

 1. Another server tries to send you a message with invalid sender domain.
 2. You reject it.
 3. The other server tries to relay the resulting bounce through you, now
    with an invalid recipient address.
 4. You get the double bounce yourself.

   With a check of the recipient address, the double bounce will end on the
other mail server, which should be closer to where the message was generated.

Regards,

/ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻTŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ\
| Rask Ingemann Lambertsen     | [EMAIL PROTECTED] |
| Registered Phase5 developer  | WWW: http://www.gbar.dtu.dk/~c948374/   |
| A4000, 775 kkeys/s (RC5-64)  | "ThrustMe" on XPilot and EFnet IRC      |
|   Which is worse: Ignorance or apathy?   Who knows...  Who cares...    |