- "Joaquim Homrighausen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

| 1. I cannot get "redirection" to work when I use a .qmail
| file containing a complete maildir path. If I replace the
| maildir path with another local user, the redirection
| works. In the former case, qmail(-local I assume) complains
| about delivery being temporarily deferred.
|
| What I had was:
|
| .qmail-john:doe
|
| In the default home directory.

You mean, in ~alias?  (I'll assume so.)

| The file contained
|
| /home/special/mailadd/johndoe02/Maildir/
|
| The ./johndoe02 directory is owned by johndoe02 (not world writeable)
| The same ownership applies to all of the directories below ./johndoe02

Won't work.  qmail-local *always* runs as the user you're trying to
deliver to; in this case, the alias user.  So it cannot usually
deliver to another user's maildir or mbox.

| I have temporarily circumvented the problem by replacing the path
| specification in the .qmail-john:doe file with 'johndoe02', which
| works but isn't an elegant solution (IMHO) since it requires extra
| work on qmail's behalf.

So use the users/assign mechanism instead.  Put the following (or have
a script put it) in users/assign:

=john:johndoe2:123:456:/home/special/mailadd/johndoe02:::

(where 123:456 should be replaced by johndoe2's uid:gid).  This
declares /home/special/mailadd/johndoe02 to be the home directory of
johndoe2.  So unless the default delivery instruction (argument to
qmail-start) is ./Maildir/, put ./Maildir/ into the
/home/special/mailadd/johndoe02/.qmail file.

Remember to run qmail-newu after updating the assign file.

| 2. Is there a file or document which describes which directories must
| be owned/groupowned by the various qmail UIDs/GIDs as well as other
| directories (such as the one in the first question above)?

Not in one place, as far as I know.  Each user must own his home
directory, which must not be world writable.  As far as maildirs go,
the user must be able to chdir() into the maildir, then have full read
and write access to the tmp/ and new/ subdirectories.

| I'm somewhat behind in this mailing list, so if you do reply, please
| CC me ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) on your reply.

I'm somewhat current in this mailing list, so if you do reply, please
don't CC me on your reply.  8-)

- Harald