G'Day.
I have been sporadically trying to set up Qmail-1.03 for about 3 weeks
now and keep running into:

Mar 16 09:07:53 SedricWorks qmail: 921575273.166915 status: local 0/10
remote 2/20
Mar 16 09:07:53 SedricWorks qmail: 921575273.276501 delivery 4:
 deferral: CNAME_lookup_failed_temporarily._(#4.4.3)/

I know! the FAQ says something about DNS! but I don't know enough
to make any sense of that though.

Fetchmail,Netscape,host,ftp and all the rest work quite happily.
Incoming mail arrives at local Mailbox(s) OK.

Without knowing any more than that, this seems to imply that the DNS
is working?

I have (attempted to) follow the original INSTALL and then several
other sets of directions for specifically setting up a single machine
to a dial-up ISP.

I have run the various perl scripts to check the directory &
/var/qmail/control contents - OK.

grep says that the deferral: message emanates from qmail-send.c
line 935 which just after a call to read(), & that is where I lose it at
the moment through not knowing enough about how the unix libraries work.
Presumably read()'s file handle is actually the end of a pipe which is
expected to be connected through to the ISP server but isn't?

I rather suspect that the problem may be something to do with
resolv.conf, but I have yet to find a coherent account of
what ought to be in there.

Normally, at this point, I would start sticking debug statements
into the qmail code to try & find out more about what it is doing
but since it is very likely (to somebody here @ least) a glaringly
obvious set-up error, I will try asking first!

Regards, RJP

--
RJP Personal..