How are you starting qmail-smtpd?  Are you using tcpserver or inetd?  What
is the command syntax you user for what you use?

One possible solution, set up an outbound only relay machine in the DMZ
that only accepts SMTP connections from your mail store machine and does
not perform any DNS lookups on the IP connection.  This can be done with
tcpserver quite easily.

On Wed, 17 Mar 1999, Greg Owen {gowen} wrote:

>     I'm quoting Timothy Mayo from his March 2 message titled "Re: DNS &
> /etc/hosts"
>
> >No, qmail does NOT use the resolver.  Yes it makes direct DNS requests.
> >qmail NEVER uses /etc/hosts, period.  It only uses DNS, regardless of how
> >you have set up your resolver.  The only way to override the use of DNS is
> >by using /var/qmail/control/smtproutes.
>
>     How does Qmail act as an outbound relay for a host who is not listed in
> DNS?
>
>     I'm setting up a network which has two Qmail mail relays on the DMZ, and
> the mail server (mail store) on the internal network.  The firewall allows
> the mail store to talk to the mail relays (and vice versa), and the mail
> relays to talk to the Internet (and vice versa).
>
>     The mail relays are in DNS with MX values of 10 and 20.
>
>     The mail store is not listed in Internet-accessible DNS, a standard
> security precaution.  The mail relays use our ISP's DNS servers for all
> their resolution.  Our ISP hosts our primary and secondary DNS servers as
> far as the Internet is concerned; our internal network has its own "primary"
> and "secondary" which provide DNS for internal hosts and which slave to the
> ISP's DNS servers for all else (as allowed by the firewall).
>
>     When the internal host tried to send out via the relay (Yes, I've got
> RELAYCLIENT set via tcpserver), the relay complained that it couldn't find
> the mail store in DNS and therefore wouldn't accept the mail (I don't have a
> copy of the exact error message, but can get it if that makes a difference).
> Adding the internal mail store machine to /etc/hosts didn't help (as
> Timothy's message above would indicate).
>
>     So what's the solution for this?
>
>     1) Add the mail store to Internet-available DNS?  Security guidelines
> say not to do this, in order to deny information to attackers, but that's
> always seemed a pretty weak argument to me (once someone is in a position to
> use the information, they're in a position to gather the information pretty
> easily).
>
>     2) Set the firewall to allow the mail relays to query the INTERNAL DNS
> servers, which will know about this host and will forward other requests
> back out the firewall to the ISP's DNS server?  Seems inefficient, and
> presumably is as bad or worse than #1 security wise (cracker need only break
> DMZ to get all DNS info, as opposed to breaking onto the internal network).
>
>     3) Set up a forwarding DNS server on the DMZ which knows about the
> internal mail store, but doesn't pass that info on to the Internet?
>
>     4) Entering an [dotted quad] into smtproutes fixes this on the inbound
> relay case.  Is there a similar fax for the outbound relay case?
>
>     5) Everything else I haven't thought of ;>
>

>     Surely I can't be the only one who's tried this.  How do the rest of you
> handle this?
>
>     Any help you can give is appreciated.  I've got two weeks or more before
> [...]

Timothy L. Mayo                         mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Senior Systems Administrator
localconnect(sm)
http://www.localconnect.net/

The National Business Network Inc.      http://www.nb.net/